Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Yoshimura- a look under the skin.

3K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  SuzukiJockey00 
#1 ·
I am going to upload a few pics of Roger and Toni's race bikes. These were taken during the 2016 season.
The Yosh bikes are very slick.

This week- the rear seat.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
MagMar = Magneti Marelli. Hard to tell but it might be their Marvel 4.5, which isn't their best. I have no info on their IMUs. It's not for you unless you're ready to make a huge investment.

P.S. I see that it includes an output for trumpet (velocity stack) control like Yamaha uses. It's expensive but I've always thought that it was the way to go instead of the dual stacks that Yoshimura and Cougar Red offer.

#11 ·
Those are nice!! I took close up pic's of Matt Mladin's and Ben Spies bikes back in 2007 at the paddock of Laguna Seca. They had all kinds shit on their bikes. Sensors every where.

#13 ·
Reactions: HeJason
#18 ·
Today, another look under the skin. The forks, brakes, and so on.

Radiator by Febur (I think). While MB supplies a large number of teams, Febur has been around longer, and are fantastic pieces.
The Brembo calipers are the top of the line for steel discs.
No idea what the fork coating is here- it looks similar to what the works KYB forks ran for many years. Maybe @BillV knows what this is.

Attachments

#23 ·
What is interesting is that the same color coating was used 20+ years ago on the Kayaba ER0 stuff; magnesium bottoms, external compression, etc...right before Yosh switched to Showa after flirting with Ohlins. I know of only a few pairs of those forks remaining in the US.

Today, Fox MTB forks use a similar coating- they claim it to be Yashima- however that coating looks gold. Marzocchi MTB forks have also used something similar in the recent past.

I should maybe send an email and ask.

#22 ·
Does anybody know what the deal is, with what looks like an extra piece of fairing, glued to the radiator? I'm referring to that piece (looks like its fiberglass, or something like it) with the checkered pattern on it. Does it serve some aerodynamic purpose? Does it try to direct all air to the radiator for better cooling? Doesn't the OEM cowling have anything like it and if so, how come?

#24 ·
The material here is carbon/kevlar. The entire body kit is made of this material, except for the fuel tank, which is aluminum.

The part you are looking at is a radiator shroud. As you guessed, its purpose is to direct air to the radiator, as well as to prevent air from going elsewhere under the cowling. Since the radiators used on superbikes are significantly larger than the stock ones- to handle the extra heat generated by the engine- the bodywork needs to be modified to accommodate.

While the stock bike does have inner panels which direct air to the radiator, they are not suitable for racing. Ease of removal and serviceability is very important with race machinery.

#28 ·
Those unidentified levers are made by Zeta, a Japanese company. - ZETA RACING -

The fork coatings are definitely Ti based and look very similar to the same color as on the MX bike stanchions (Stewart, Baggett, Roczen). My wild guess is that Yosh probably has a common supplier for the coating doing something particular for them.

Cool pictures! Look forward to more.

#32 ·
Interesting shot.
I always find it interesting to see thing that are not sponsor correct. It happens all the time- understandably- and I always find it interesting.
That aside, interesting to see how small the Febur radiators have become. It speaks to the increased efficiency of the cores that they use.

The only thing in this shot that is not full-on superbike is the fork. Hopefully, Yosh will source Showa stuff for next years rule package.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.