Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Rpm problem

9K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Mehdi Zaim 
#1 ·
I have a new 2015 gsxr 1000 and it won't go passed 8500 rpm. 1st gear does fine then I hit 2nd and it just dropped between 8-9k and it acts like its on rev limiter. Same thing in 5th gear. If I'm just cruising and go to fifth gear and open up it hits around that same 8-9k rpm range and cuts out. I havnt held it there because I'm scared it'll mess somthing up so I just let out. What is causing this?

Thank you.

#2 ·
Are you getting an FI light? Any mods done to the bike? Give us all the info you can please.

Reactions: Hobbs Stephen
#4 ·
Juat so you know, it is FI, not F1.

:thumbup

The bike is probably still under warranty, why not just bring it to a dealer?

#7 ·
"it acts like its on rev limiter" So it comes on sharply rather than bogging down?

On something older I'd suspect a clogged fuel filter. But on a near new bike, that sounds more like a kink in the fuel line. But we need more information on exactly what's going on.

As a long shot, perhaps the EXCVA isn't opening. But that ought to generate a FI error. Damaged cat converter?

#8 ·
I was in 5th gear and opened up the throttle and I looked down and it was around 8500. I knew it wasn't right so at the next stop sign I got on it a little in first gear, switched gears around 10k rpm to second gear and it cut power once again around the same rpm range. I've only been that high in rpms twice because I just got it, and both times this has happen. After about a second of the problem I let out of it. I bought the motorcycle brand new, there shouldn't be any damage to anything.

#11 ·
Next step is to take it back to the dealershiop and ask :wtf

#12 ·
Next step is to take it back to the dealershiop and ask

I went to crank my bike earlier and the battery was dead for some reason? Then I thought the fuel pump needs 12volts to run correctly right? If my battery was weak and dying the fuel pump wasn't getting enough volts to produce enough fuel for the higher rpms I was trying to run, does this make since to you? Could that be the problem? Regardless I'm getting a new battery tomorrow, it's just to cold to ride and test to see if that's the culprit. Just trying to see if that makes since to anybody. And I'm guessing the battery is weak and dying because it sat on the showroom floor for awhile?

Thanks

#13 ·
Before you just go and buy a new battery, test the one you have now.

#16 ·
Okay so the battery is good. I just road it (27 degrees) and when the problem happens around 8500 rpm, I held it there this time and it slowly climbs rpm very slowly and then I just let out. But if you slowly open the throttle it acts fine like nothing's wrong but if you open the throttle all the way real fast it does fine till 8500 rpm and then it acts like its bogging down or somthing and goes up a mile per hour like every 2 or 3 seconds

#19 ·
You haven't been very informative about the specifics of the problem, so I've stayed away. But it is beginning to sound like a fuel supply problem. A fuel pump flow rate test per the service manual would be helpful. However I still don't understand how the pump's filter could clog up in a couple hundred miles.

#20 ·
That's all the information I have to provide. All I know is if I gradually open the throttle up It seems to run correctly to my knowledge. But if I open the throttle up fast and once the rpms hit around 8500 it hesitates and the rpms barly go up, once this problem occurs After about 2 seconds I let off the throttle because I don't want to cause further damage. also it does not do this in first gear, every other gear does it. I've checked the battery, the volts are reading right and the supply line is not kinked. I'm out of town for work and that's all the information I have

#21 ·
OP, just take it to your dealer. I had to do the same thing with my L5 that was having some very strange transmission issues. If you butter them up, I bet they'll even have it towed for you free of charge (could always say you don't feel that it is safe to ride). Then again, the dealership I bought from has excellent customer service. Hopefully they do too.

Seems like the consensus is there is a fuel delivery problem. If you cannot provide any more specifics, I'm afraid you can't be helped through an online forum. Unfortunately, I would know :sad

#23 ·
Check to see if the primary catalytic converter has broken off. Happened to me, the first thing i noticed was the exhaust wasn't as loud and the pressure of the exhaust coming out from the end can was pretty weak. Turns out the primary cat broke off and got stuck onto the secondary, causing a choke in the exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.