Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Wrong rear tyre

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  springfall2008 
#1 · (Edited)
I just discovered the place I took my bike too put on the "wrong" rear tyre, they fitted a Bridgestone BT021 which is a touring tyre and not listed against my bike on their web site.

The front is a Bridgestone S20 which does seem to be recommended for the bike.

What do you guys think, does it matter enough I replace the rear again? I'll try to get some money back from the place that did the rear.

#2 ·
The BT021 is a good sport touring tire, and unless you are trying to set lap records on the street, it will provide plenty of grip. I don't like the mis-matched front though.

However, why did the shop put that tire on? What did you request they put on? Did you just tell them to put a new rear tire on?

Reactions: oneliter
#3 ·
I'm about to change the front, so I could just put a BT021 on the front as well.

I think I just asked the shop to change the tyre for a suitable one and told them I had Bridgestone Battlax. I would have assumed they would have matched the tyre against those recommended for the bike - but it seems not.

#11 ·
BT 021 is an old tire. Check the date on it - in oval on one side, 4 digits xxyy where xx is week of yy year. Tires over 4-5 years old can be hard and slippy as the rubber gases out over time. BT021 was replaced in about 2010 by BT023 then T30 was added a couple years ago. The 23 and 30 are both current with the 23 being the low cost alternate. BT016Pro superseded BT016 about 2011. S20 essentially replaced the 16Pro in 2013 I believe with the Pro still being sold as the low cost alternate. I would not replace the S20. I would remove the 21 in the likely case it is more than 5 years old. The dealer is dumping his old stock on you, not acceptable. Get a newer S20 or maybe 16Pro on rear.

#13 ·
BT-021's for sale still! Surprising as I have not seen a BT-021 on a bike for more than 5 years and know that Bridgestone has replaced the model several times over. But if they are still being sold, hopefully batches are still being made so that sales are not just coming from a rusty shipping container out back - the OP's tire may not be stale-dated and still may be safe. Have not heard tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.