Fueling issues. - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Married his Fleshlight...

Fueling issues.

Hi guys, I just purchased a 2009 750 with only 8200km on the clock! I took it for a short test ride before I bought it and it seemed to run sweet.

I took it for a longer ride today and it seems like there is some problems. I went to overtake a car and when I hit about 9000rpm it would stop revving. Also at partial throttle the felt quite jerky at low rpm. It also stalled at idle a lot. But at full throttle through the midrange it ran sweet.

I have a feeling the bike was sitting for some time. My suspicion is that the injectors are gunked up..especially the secondary ones. That and a weak spark from the plugs. I'm not sure though.

Does anyone have any expirience with my situation? It has aftermarket Yoshimura headers and an r55 tip..no power commander.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Head down, ass up , knee down.
by FAR my favorite sex positio.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Re: Fueling issues.

Here are some pics =)

]

Last edited by bentoverhard69; 03-18-2017 at 10:47 PM.
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:45 PM
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600, '15 Victory Vegas 8-Ball

Be methodical when approaching this. I'd begin with a fuel flow test to see if an adequate amount is being supplied, then the injectors, spark plugs, etc... No FI light correct?

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad314 View Post
Be methodical when approaching this. I'd begin with a fuel flow test to see if an adequate amount is being supplied, then the injectors, spark plugs, etc... No FI light correct?
No, no FI light. Each time I tried to Rev it it felt like it would clear up a tiny bit and Rev a bit more hence why I think it had blocked injectors. It has that distinct feeling of being starved of fuel and i think about around 9000 rpm is when the secondary injectors kick in?

post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:53 PM
Both OG&I admitted we were wrong on 5/13/15

Motorcycle: Two wheels and goes VROOM, VROOM

Quote:
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:59 PM
Currently using pedals..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoverhard69 View Post
No, no FI light. Each time I tried to Rev it it felt like it would clear up a tiny bit and Rev a bit more hence why I think it had blocked injectors. It has that distinct feeling of being starved of fuel and i think about around 9000 rpm is when the secondary injectors kick in?

It could be several things, this is why you need to have a process to identify the issue instead of looking at random components and hoping for the best. Something else I didn't mention is to inspect fuel lines and make sure nothing is kinked.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

It also has after marker headers...but it doesn't look like a full system..the headers have a Yoshimura spring on them as well.

post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:24 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Being that is has the cat removed, it would behoove you to add a power commander and have it tuned. But, this is after you have your issue fixed.

If you just purchased it and have no history of its maintenance, you should assume it was not done and take care of it. I don't know what your manual calls for at such low mileage, so look in the service manual and take care of it. It does sound like gas may be a factor. You should drain the tank and refill it with fresh fuel, making sure to note if there is rust in the tank. After this, you can run it for a bit and see if it clears up. There are already detergents in top-tier fuels, so it may clear it up. If you've already been riding it with fresh fuel and the problem remains, you should do a fuel flow test as outlined in the Service Manual. It's free and it will tell you if the fuel pump and filter assembly are to blame.
After that, you can look at the spark plugs and the injectors. But, a proper cleaning is not cheap for those. It's around $12-20 an injector, and you have 8 of them.

2006 GSXR 250 with an Akrapovic full exhaust and a flashed ECM. 162whp, 77ft-lb. Slow-lane certified
2000 Honda VTR 1000. Practically a 250.
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Being that is has the cat removed, it would behoove you to add a power commander and have it tuned. But, this is after you have your issue fixed.

If you just purchased it and have no history of its maintenance, you should assume it was not done and take care of it. I don't know what your manual calls for at such low mileage, so look in the service manual and take care of it. It does sound like gas may be a factor. You should drain the tank and refill it with fresh fuel, making sure to note if there is rust in the tank. After this, you can run it for a bit and see if it clears up. There are already detergents in top-tier fuels, so it may clear it up. If you've already been riding it with fresh fuel and the problem remains, you should do a fuel flow test as outlined in the Service Manual. It's free and it will tell you if the fuel pump and filter assembly are to blame.
After that, you can look at the spark plugs and the injectors. But, a proper cleaning is not cheap for those. It's around $12-20 an injector, and you have 8 of them.

It was serviced less than 1000km ago...never seen oil so clean in an engine ha. The thing was ridden less than 1000km a year and I don't know if fuel was sitting in it untreated.

I'll have to look up how to do test the fuel flow. I hate working on a new bike though because I'm clumsy as shit and don't wanna scratch it haha. Also don't wanna piss money in a new bike having a mechanic do these time consuming things.

post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

I was riding it today in the mountains and I entered a turn not super aggressively but a decent pace and as soon as I touched the throttle the back spun up and kicked out and through me out of the seat...needless to say I changed my pants after...very lucky save.

He said the tyres are with in 12 months old... with less than 100km on them. pirelli angel gts...look pretty new..still had the gt in the tread. So I hope it was just that they needed to be worn in and not that they are old and dried out.... they are dated 10/ 2015...and fitted one year ago...are they OK to run?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bentoverhard69; 03-18-2017 at 11:51 PM.
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:52 PM
Currently using pedals..

Quote:
I was riding it today in the mountains and I entered a turn not super aggressively but a decent pace and as soon as I touched the throttle the back spun up and kicked out and through me out of the seat...needless to say I changed my pants after...very lucky save.

He said the tyres are with in 12 months old...pirelli angel gts...look pretty new..still had the gt in the tread. So I hope it was just that they needed to be worn in and not that they are old and dried out....

If you didn't know, you can actually tell when the tire was made.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...-of-your-tires

If the tires are that new, there are other factors to consider such as the environment and rider input to take into consideration.
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you didn't know, you can actually tell when the tire was made.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...-of-your-tires

If the tires are that new, there are other factors to consider such as the environment and rider input to take into consideration.
Once I found out about the fuel issues I called the owner and told him about it. He said he didn't have any issues with it...he also said he never revved it out or road it hard...judging by the tyre I believe him. I think i was the first one to lean them over properly...tyre is dated 10th month of 2015.

Also so my last tyre was Q3s...and these are sport touring tyres so I have to consider that

post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Is it worth checking the Tps? Could that be a factor too?

post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Also at partial throttle the felt quite jerky at low rpm.
How low RPM? Checking the TPS is easy so worth a look. Just remember the engine must be running and bike at operating temperature.
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

At around 3 or 4k rpm give or take. I was on a twisty road behind a car in like 3rd or 4th...just maintaining speed or slightly accelerating through a corner..it felt like it wasn't getting a concistent flow of fuel and a bit jerky. When it's and idling the revs jumped up and do below 1000rpm sometimes and it stalls.

This isn't the first 750 I've had and I wasn't lugging the engine

Engine feels great otherwise up to 9000rpm when I get there if I roll back a bit on the throttle it accelerates but not much more.

xraytim likes this.

post #16 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Also if it's in neutral and I hold the revs at 2000rpm the tach needle is bouncing around not keeping consistent revs

post #17 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:08 AM

The 9000 RPM sounds like a fuel flow issue/clogged fuel filter, not strainer.
post #18 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:19 AM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Do the fuel flow test.
post #19 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Do the fuel flow test.
Haha I'm getting started now, I had a look at the workshop manual. Think I'll need to go to the hardware store and get some electrical wire and I'll need to get a bit of hose to run the fuel out of

post #20 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

I don't even have a measuring cup in this house =0

Last edited by bentoverhard69; 03-19-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode