Brake issues - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Married his Fleshlight...

Brake issues

So a while back I had a mechanic tell me that my rotors were screwed. I went.to look for some oem one and they were ridiculously expensive. So I bought some off ebay...I didn't buy Chinese made ones, I bought some from a local seller (Australia) but I have a feeling now that they were just Chinese ones that they were passing off.

Anywho, I installed the new ones and new pads and no proceeded to bed them in. My problem is now at low speed the braking isn't consistent like the rotor is warped, but at high speed they work fine. So I was wondering if it could.be the MC because I don't think I had the recall done on my bike.

I know.my description is a bit vague but wondering if anyone could provide some insight. I have flushed the brakes and have fresh dot 4 fluid.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Head down, ass up , knee down.
by FAR my favorite sex positio.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bentoverhard69; 02-08-2017 at 03:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:24 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Re: Brake issues

I wouldn't expect any speed-dependent braking problems, to be due to the master cylinder. Nothing changes at its end depending on speed. How exactly is the braking "inconsistent"? Do you apply constant pressure to the lever, but get varying braking force? Does the lever pulsate? Does the lever's freeplay change?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapavas View Post
I wouldn't expect any speed-dependent braking problems, to be due to the master cylinder. Nothing changes at its end depending on speed. How exactly is the braking "inconsistent"? Do you apply constant pressure to the lever, but get varying braking force? Does the lever pulsate? Does the lever's freeplay change?
Yes this first thing you mentioned, I apply pressure but get varying braking force...usually just as I'm about to come to a stop at a light.

It is a 2008 model with the original rubber lines...may be that or it could be a combination of things?

I heard if you have a warped rotor it would become much more pronounced at high speed? Not at low speed coming to a stop.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

I don't get any vibration in the lever that I'm aware of

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamandshay Godfrey View Post
Hello gsxr fans, I'm new to the forum and am hoping someone is able to help me out here. I know this probably isn't the place to put my comment but I am having troubles finding the right bread for this. I have an 05 gsxr 600 and the rear brake mounting bracket broke. There from danmoto. Never heard of the company. I'm trying to find oem replacement rear sets for a reasonable price. $600 is just too much for me at the moment. Anyone have any ideas or input of where I can find oem rear sets? Thanks and much appreciated.
Lol wtf? You have trouble finding the right bread so you post in my thread, gtfo

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: Gixxer Thou' K9 trackie, Bandit 1250 K8, CCM R26 Motard, Kayto 620GS, Kayto 300EXE ("I love the smell of 2-stroke in the morning")
Garage

Do you know what pads you fitted?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekenai View Post
Do you know what pads you fitted?
Yeh the HH sintered pads for street use...I think they're ebc

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: k3 GSX-R1000

You need to bed it in more. How many miles do you have on the set up?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliev68 View Post
You need to bed it in more. How many miles do you have on the set up?
I think I have about 10,000km on the set up...when I was first bedding them in I was holding on the brakes while riding, I guess it possible I over did it? I have the old oem rotors...they have 2mm of thickness to work with but some deep scratches...maybe if I give them a good sand and replace the brake lines and new pads it'll help. These rotors cost me like $340 so I'm a bit annoyed I'm not getting the performance out of them

The issue has been there almost as soon as I installed the new rotors..I don't have many stop lights or anything around here but when I am coming to a stop it's a pain and I just opt for the rear brake now when the front has slowed me fown enough

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bentoverhard69; 02-08-2017 at 05:16 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

I have braked hard from 250kmh+ with no issues which is why I am confused. If it was a warped rotor am I correct in thinking it would be much more pronounced ay high speed and would force the pads off the rotor and I would have a hard time stopping?

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: k3 GSX-R1000

I would take the pads out and sand it down before anything else. Can u take a pic of the rotor surface and post it. My k3 was doing the same as you described, high speed braking would be fine. When I would come to a slow stop it would act like it was a 2 stage system. Would grab really soft then suddenly grab real hard. After riding in a lot of stop and go traffic in hot weather it just slowly disappeared. Your pads and rotors may just have some glaze.
Also, did u get any oil on your pads?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

That makes sense that it would be the rotor surface, also I'll check if it's warped. Just a pain the ass without a wheel stand ha.

I'll post some photos tomorrow when I get back. As for oil on the pads, I don't recall getting any on there but I'm also a super messy mofo when I work on my bike so wouldn't rule it out ha. Temperatures around here are +30 Celsius all year round here too, that may play a role.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliev68 View Post
I would take the pads out and sand it down before anything else. Can u take a pic of the rotor surface and post it. My k3 was doing the same as you described, high speed braking would be fine. When I would come to a slow stop it would act like it was a 2 stage system. Would grab really soft then suddenly grab real hard. After riding in a lot of stop and go traffic in hot weather it just slowly disappeared. Your pads and rotors may just have some glaze.
Also, did u get any oil on your pads?
What would cause it too glaze? I proper bedding in?

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoverhard69 View Post
Yes this first thing you mentioned, I apply pressure but get varying braking force...usually just as I'm about to come to a stop at a light.
Quote:
I don't get any vibration in the lever that I'm aware of
Do you get any vibration/chatter in the front end, or does the braking force just oscillate as you move forwards? I find it hard to explain such behavior. It is not unlikely for the rotors to develop circumferential variations of deposited brake pad material (due to uneven bedding) or even runout due to warping, both of which would lead to fluctuations in the braking force, as you get. They would also lead to a pulsing lever though, as they push the pads apart periodically, or to vibration of the front end, due to stick-slip phenomena. Perhaps in your case the variations on the rotor are large enough to cause braking trouble, but not to be felt at the lever.

Another possibility would be that various regions of the rotor afford less friction than others, although I can't see how that might happen. Do you see anything out of the ordinary on the rotors? Are they clean? Post a close-up photo of them if you can.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you get any vibration/chatter in the front end, or does the braking force just oscillate as you move forwards? I find it hard to explain such behavior. It is not unlikely for the rotors to develop circumferential variations of deposited brake pad material (due to uneven bedding) or even runout due to warping, both of which would lead to fluctuations in the braking force, as you get. They would also lead to a pulsing lever though, as they push the pads apart periodically, or to vibration of the front end, due to stick-slip phenomena. Perhaps in your case the variations on the rotor are large enough to cause braking trouble, but not to be felt at the lever.

Another possibility would be that various regions of the rotor afford less friction than others, although I can't see how that might happen. Do you see anything out of the ordinary on the rotors? Are they clean? Post a close-up photo of them if you can.
Sorry for the delay, I got the photos of each rotor. I really can't tell if there's a vibration in the front end or its just the bumps being transfered through the front end. It's really pronounced coming to a stop at like 20kmh and less. It's enough compress the suspension with the variation in braking force.

Maybe they're a crap rotors I got and I've been riding on them too long to know the difference...

Last edited by bentoverhard69; 02-11-2017 at 12:37 AM.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
I think I have about 10,000km on the set up...when I was first bedding them in I was holding on the brakes while riding, I guess it possible I over did it?
You mean that you kept applying pressure while riding? That doesn't sound like a good idea. I believe the idea is to avoid overheating the discs during bed in, so as to prevent rapid and potentially uneven pad material transfer.

Quote:
The issue has been there almost as soon as I installed the new rotors..
Seems more likely to be due to the rotors themselves then, instead of the front end, unless it has to do with the wheel, which would also have been removed for the rotor install.

Quote:
I have braked hard from 250kmh+ with no issues which is why I am confused. If it was a warped rotor am I correct in thinking it would be much more pronounced ay high speed and would force the pads off the rotor and I would have a hard time stopping?
I can't talk from experience as I've never had one, but I'd also expect a warped rotor to cause a problem at all vehicle speeds.

Quote:
Sorry for the delay, I got the photos of each rotor. I really can't tell if there's a vibration in the front end or its just the bumps being transfered through the front end. It's really pronounced coming to a stop at like 20kmh and less. It's enough compress the suspension with the variation in braking force.
Your rotors look ok, in that their surface, or at least the part I can see, looks more or less like mine, which don't have much of a problem. I still think improper bedding as the likeliest cause though, since I can't find a better explanation for the observed behavior.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You mean that you kept applying pressure while riding? That doesn't sound like a good idea. I believe the idea is to avoid overheating the discs during bed in, so as to prevent rapid and potentially uneven pad material transfer.

Seems more likely to be due to the rotors themselves then, instead of the front end, unless it has to do with the wheel, which would also have been removed for the rotor install.

I can't talk from experience as I've never had one, but I'd also expect a warped rotor to cause a problem at all vehicle speeds.

Your rotors look ok, in that their surface, or at least the part I can see, looks more or less like mine, which don't have much of a problem. I still think improper bedding as the likeliest cause though, since I can't find a better explanation for the observed behavior.
Yeh, I think they may be ever so slightly warped. I'm gonna get my friend to help get the front tyre off the ground and then see if I can tell by eye. Just give the stock rotors a sand and throw them back on...they have 2mm off thickness still left.

Yeh I know you need to bed them in..I think I went a bit over bored while riding with the brakes on haha

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

It's pretty obvious if they're warped, in that you will feel nice pulsing when you stop from high speeds.

Front Rear Brake Disc Rotor Suzuki GSXR600 GSXR750 2006 2007 GSXR1000 2005 2008 | eBay

Yup, cheap eBay rotors they are.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Just give the stock rotors a sand and throw them back on...they have 2mm off thickness still left.
You don't mean that the the rotors have been worn to the point of actually being 2mm thick right? The stock rotors are about 5mm, I think and have a service limit of about 0.5mm, meaning they should be replaced when they're 4.5mm thick. If yours are only 2mm thick, then they're sheet metal, not rotors.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You don't mean that the the rotors have been worn to the point of actually being 2mm thick right? The stock rotors are about 5mm, I think and have a service limit of about 0.5mm, meaning they should be replaced when they're 4.5mm thick. If yours are only 2mm thick, then they're sheet metal, not rotors.
Ok yes, I could see how that would sound alarming, I think I meant to say 0.2mm..they're definitely not sheet metal yet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode