Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Weird Starting/Non-Starting Problem. Need advice

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Arborist 
#1 ·
I bought a GSXR 750 K8 a month ago. It had 2400 miles and has been well maintained. The guy had put a new battery in it 3 days before I bought it, because it was not ridden often and not on a trickle charger. So, since I've had it I've put about 300 miles on it and it has been perfect. Sunday I rode for about 3 hours with a few stops here and there. Towards the end of the day I rode about 20 miles and stopped for gas. Filled up rode another two and stopped off at the store. About two minutes later I went to crank it to return home and it wouldn't start. It acted very much like the battery was dead. It would turn over for half a second, or thereabouts, then nothing. I took off the seat and made sure my terminals were tight. Tried to start again and same thing. So I pushed it up to speed, popped the clutch in 2nd, and it started right up. Rode it about 4 miles back to the house and put it in the garage. Tried to start it normally when I got back and would start. Engine would turn over but acted like the battery was dead. Tried it again and just seemed like I was running the battery even lower.

So, 3 days later went to the garage to put my new rearstand in there and decided to see if it would start. Well, it started, but it seemed like it struggled a little. Didn't fire up as quick as usual. I didn't have time to mess with it, so after I let it run a few minutes I shut it off and went back to the house. The bike is completely stock and hasn't been on a trickle charger. It also has had the rectifier recall done. Previous owner is a mechanic and a trust worthy guy and he never had any issues with it starting.

Anyone got any ideas? I don't want to go riding and get stuck somewhere. I plan to have the MC and Rectifier recalls done sometime very soon. I'm pretty skilled mechanically but never learned any electrical system diagnosis skills like using multimeter or whatever.

Any advice or similar experiences please post. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not skilled at testing electronics, but I've had problems in the past with Suzuki voltage regulators. Since the recall hasn't been performed I figure I'll give that a shot first.

#4 ·
Okay.. Need some opinions... I got a New Suzuki OEM rectifier off EBAY for a steal. I also ordered the Dynatek Battery Charger Monitor, so I can keep an eye on any issues when I get this back on the road.

I also ordered a New Suzuki OEM stator. My question is, since I don't know how to test the electrical components, can I try installing the rectifier and new battery first, so I can possibly return the stator? Or would doing this jeopardize the new battery and rectifier? The bike is an '08 750 with 2500 miles on it. I've had it about 2 months and put about 200 miles on it before I started having problems with the charging system?

If I had more time I would watch the YouTube videos and learn how to test the different components, but at this point I really just want to fix it and get it back on the road.

Please let me know if you think testing the new rectifier and battery with the old stator first is a bad idea, as I don't want to risk harming any other electrical components. Thanks!

#6 ·
Get yourself a service manual and a DMM and learn how to test it all before you go throwing parts at it.

There are a ton of Youtube videos as well.

#9 ·
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the cables were the first thing I checked and they were good with no corrosion. Thanks for the reply.

For everyone else (excluding Anthony D), I can learn to use a DMM, but I was really trying to ensure riding it 20 miles to my garage wouldn't do further harm to the electrical components until I had time to examine further.

#10 ·
So many threads never have what ended up causing the problem, so I wanted to put an end to this one. My new bike ('08)had never had the recalls performed for the rectifier or the MC, so I went ahead and took it into the dealership. The problem ended up being the rectifier, so I got out of this without spending any money except the charging system monitor, which I really like being that these bikes are so prone to these issues.

#12 ·
Hi guys, I have had a starting issue for a while, thought it was lack of use (2300 miles) so changed to a new battery. Still had an intermittent problem. Took it in on the rectifier recall last week and they couldn't get it started, said it was the relay, then said it was the starter motor. They would change it for new and labour totalled at almost £400 ooouch. I decided to take it back as it was and bump it to get home. Just took SM off tonight and stripped it back. The issue was build up on the copper components and bushes, a quick polish and rebuild..... Starts every time. Only took a couple of hours, probally because I have little knowledge on this stuff, but the £400 kinda give me the insentive to have a go.
Hope this helps, as I have read a lot on the web that this is a regular thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.