Why not a Sports Bike for a First Bike ? - Page 3 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 12:22 PM
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.

Re: Why not a Sports Bike for a First Bike ?

why not? this is 1 reason why..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 07:56 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Luke

Quote:
gsxr600grl said:

I am also a new rider... with a gsxr600...2003, im in the same boat as gixxerboy... we are actually good friends, and got the bikes at the same time... i am 5'1 and not skinny... but i can barely reach the ground on the bike.. i wish there was some way that i could go back in time and sign the papers for a 500 or soemthing, but i cant do that now... what (other than the classes, and being VERY cautious and careful) would you guys reccomend me doing?
holy shit are u kidding me. if ur feet can barely hit the ground i dont think u should be on that bike. whe i first got my 99' 600 i was considering lowering my bike cause it didnt feel like i had complete control and comfort when backing up and maneuvering around with my feet-and im 5'10". but now its simple and i think the fit is perfect. it just takes time to get use to it but i got u on like 9 inches. o well.

but do u even know how to ride a bike? or is ur 600 justsittin in the garage waitin 4 u to take ur classes etc.? if u know how to tide it the just take it slow. very very slow.
post #43 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Amateur

Very well written... I'll offer my two cent's worth with an example, followed by some comments...

After riding with me for a few months, my girlfriend decided she wanted to ride. I did all the research, and decided that the Ninja 250 was the bike to get. Last March, I came across a low mileage bike with no damage, and I bought it... It looked like a real sportbike, and after she bought all the matching gear, we always got comments - me on my blue/white G1K, and her on her bright yellow Ninja...

Needless to say, after about 1300 miles, she got complacent, and decided she didn't really need to use that back brake - the front seemed to stop the bike just fine... She changed her mind just a few feet from where the pavement ended and the gravel driveway started...

A 5 mph crash resulted in a cracked fairing, a scraped muffler, broken signal, scraped mirror, etc. Cost to fix? From Kawasaki, the replacement fairing would have been (I didn't fix it - I took the loss and sold it with the damage) $546, each muffler is $276, the replacement signal was $42... By the time you add up the costs to replace the pretty shiny stuff, you'll top $1000 on a $3000 bike - for a very minor accident where no mechanical damage occurred...

When it came time to move to something bigger, I wanted her to get an SV650... She was scared it was too big, and I ended up finding a nice, used, (yellow - to match all of her riding gear), 1999 GS500E. I bought it, and at this point I am convinced that this is the bike we should have started with... It has more power, is more comfortable at highway speeds, and you can get one cheap these days (paid $600 less for it than I did the Ninja)... The "pavement to gravel" crash would have cost me about tenth of what the Ninja did... I sold the Ninja for about $700 less than a perfect one would have brought with similar mileage...

My girlfriend was OK after the crash, and she learned a very important lesson without getting hurt very badly... She learned that riding a motorcycle successfully demands a whole different level of attention than driving around in a car...

Unfortunately, a lot of people that start out on bigger, faster bikes don't get that opportunity... If you buy a hot bike as a first bike, and then proceed to ride aggressively, chances of entering a turn too fast, or getting into a situation where road conditions change faster than you can react approprately, increase substantially...

These bikes accelerate so hard, and the speed becomes so intoxicating, I feel that eveytime I get out and ride, I have to focus more intently on not getting myself in trouble that I can't get out of... If you have been riding at 120, it's easy to become mesmerized by the speed, and entering a 35 mph turn at 80 (because slowing from 120 to 80 makes it feel like you are poking along), is probably going to end up bending something...

New riders simply don't have the experiences to fall back on as to what it is like to enter a corner too fast, to hit a patch of gravel in a turn, or to have the back tire break loose while accelerating out of a turn... I've taken the bumps and bruises, the stiches, and scraped skin, and I did all of that on much slower, much less capable, and much less expensive motorcycles over about 20 years of riding...

I guess it all depends on the individual and what they are trying to accomplish in buying and riding a motorcycle... Aspiring racers, stunt riders, street racers, etc. (like me when I was younger) are going to have a different set of decisions to make than the average new rider who wants to start out, learn how to ride, and avoid an accident at all costs (my girlfriend).

If you are willing to take the bumps, bruises, scrapes, broken bones, etc., and can cover the cost to fix the sportbike to the degree you want to maintain it (do you want it to always look fresh off the showroom, or do you mind riding with cosmetic damage?), go for the sportbike. If you want to learn to ride for the enjoyment and take the cautious approach to avoid injury to yourself and other property, take it slow, buy a nice, used bike, learn to ride, and when you outgrow it, trade up to something bigger and better....

For the ladies, you probably fall into the last category... Take it slow, be careful not to be pressured into trying to learn on something more than you are comfortable with just to make someone else happy... And, before you start, get the appropriate, high-quality riding gear... The scrapes hurt more than the broken bones a lot of the time...

For the guys, if your lady thinks that a 600 is too much, get her on a smaller bike - she can always move up to something bigger... If she scares herself on something that is too aggressive, her riding days are probably over... It almost happened to me with the Ninja and my girlfiend while she was trying to learn the concept of countersteering. If she'd been on a bigger bike going 10 mph faster, I am pretty sure the outcome would have been ugly (she would have hit the guardrail in a turn at highway speed...).

Sorry for the long post, but with the state of performance of bikes on the showrooms today, I feel like folks have got to start thinking more about these decisions...

post #44 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Squid

i totally agree with you about the fact that i should have gotten a smaller bike, but the fact is that i was stupid and got the 600... so now i have to deal.... i mean, if i could i would just take it back, save my money and get a 250 to learn on, but im stuck for 5 years.... so in the end, all it comes down to is the fact that i AM going to be EXTREMELY careful and very attentive at that class.... i wish i would have gone into these rooms before i got the bike, but thank you very much for all the suggestions... i really do appreciate it...
post #45 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 07:15 AM
Squid

First off good post got me thinking.My first bike was a brand spankin new 2000 gsxr 600.this isnt a horrible choice for learning.i think it really depends on the individuals mind set,will he or she be respectful of the bikes qaulities or jump on and gun it?it all depends.
post #46 of 370 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Matt Russell

My first bike is the 01 GSXR-600 im still ridin around today, its a great bike, still has plenty of power for me (for now anyway) and im lovin every day it doesnt rain and i can take it out to play, if your gettin a new bike go ahead and get a 600, if your an idiot youll crash and burn, if your not then youll be just fine
post #47 of 370 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 10:31 PM
Squid

well i must say that you guys are makin me feel a little better about my choice... but i still know that it will take some time for me to learn on it...i just think that the people that go out and get them and dont do anything to inform themselves about the thing that they are about to jump on are pretty stupid... i dont mean to offend anyone, but with all the power that i KNOW those bikes have, i dont understand how someone could just jump on one and think that they are going to be ok... i dont know, im rambling... im just really looking forward to actually riding it, i start my classes in 9 days, and im hoping after that, i will be able to understand the bike a little better.. hopefully see some of you out at bike night.
post #48 of 370 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 06:32 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSX-R600 2K7

Hello, I am new to this board so I thought that I would stop in and see what was going on, and I ran across this post. Let me start by saying that I have read some really great stuff in this post, and whole-heartedly agree that a 600 class sport bike is too much for a new rider. I can also admit that I was too inexperienced when I purchased my '00 600, and I have the scars to prove it.
I entered a TIGHT left-hander about 50 MPH too fast for the corner, I paniced, locked up the back break (didn't highside somehow) and shot off into the scenery, or at least the bike did. Something in the berm that I hit while exiting the pavement sent me back onto the paement to take the roadrash down my left side, with my shoulder taking the blunt of the impact. Thankfully I wasn't injured too bad, nothing broken, not bad for not wearing a helmet or any kind of riding gear and all of the damage to the bike was cosmetic save for a bent rear wheel.
I have since invested in a nice Shoei helmet and a Teknic Leather jacket that I never leave home without I still have the same bike after a bit of repairs and healing time. It has been two years since I wrecked, and it is something that is in the back of my mind every time I throw a leg over my gix6.
My first bike was a DR650 enduro, which looking back I can say I think was a wise choice and was an excellent bike to learn on. I took the time to learn the basics on a sensible bike before I screwed up and upgraded to too much of a bike! However after my crash I learned that riding a bike and riding it well or being a "good rider" is about one thing ,EXPERIENCE.
To all new rider: A faster bike will not make someone a better rider, that comes with time and miles in the saddle. Have respect and listen to people that have more experience than you do. I am very much a rookie with only 3 years and 8K miles or so, and obviously not a shining three years! With that said I also know that I get better with everyday that I ride because I listen to the riding tips that I am given by others. This makes me more confident in myself and my abilites and therefore more comfortable on my bike. One thing that I always remember someone telling me is not to be afraid of the bike, but respect it. The moment you don't respect your bike is the moment it will show you how much respect it deserves.

Sorry had to make my first post a long one!
post #49 of 370 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: Kevin Owens

Well haveing been away from Bikes for 15 years, I decided to pass the OWLD test and purchase a second hand bike, after many weeks of looking and reading, GSXR 750 was to be the beast, I class myself to be a competative rider....^^, well in two years, I've had two, fell off once, and loved every minute of it....These bikes rock, the adrenaline that flows from 7k is so adictive, pardon the spelling, I managed one track day last year @ croft, and not many people passed me, the only prob's is, I get extreme lean.......but, I ain't got me knee down yet, I use the full extent of the tyres on the rear, and have 1 cm spare on the front, whats going wrong.........I am please I found this site though, what a blast... reagards to everybody and LONG LIVE BIKES.....
post #50 of 370 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Provisional Novice

Great write up, I will save this one for when my daughter is hounding me for a bike.
post #51 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 02:29 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 06 1k

If you are not dragging your knee yet it is probably becuase of your riding style. If you sit with your butt square on the bike you never will, unless you are about 6'8". Once you begin to hang off of the bike in the turns you will eventuall be able to drag your knee.
post #52 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 01:00 AM
Squid

Thanks to everyone on this site. It truly is the best site out there. I"m a newbie and was debating the first bike idea with a good number of folks.

Anyway, after reading almost all I could about this topic, I ended up with a 1983 GR650.
Yeah, yeah, not a used gixxer, but it was cheap and in really good shape. only 9k.

It seemed like all the experienced riders (more than a few years) recommended something older to learn on, to fine tune skills. While the newer riders all said that a new 600 would be ok and that I would grow into it. Even at the local Suzuki dealer, the older, head guy said that it was smart going with the "Tempter" and that he was looking forward to seeing it soon. (They have one on the roof of their dealership and he rode one in a previous life) The younger dealer just said, "Whoa, what a POS, why???"

I even considered the 03 sv650, but have you seen the wing-like radiator on that thing? Not friendly for even slow speed lay downs.

post #53 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 03:30 AM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Quote:
tk1mit said:
I even considered the 03 sv650, but have you seen the wing-like radiator on that thing? Not friendly for even slow speed lay downs.

Two words: Frame Sliders
post #54 of 370 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 09:50 AM
Track Day Winner

I'm also a newbie riding bikes, got about 3000 miles experience in a '02 kawi 250-r. I've ridden it in the freeway, heavy city traffic, rain, windy conditions etc. and haven't dropped it yet *knocks on wood* I had a couple of almost accidents but I think because of the fact I try to be as alert as possible it has saved my neck. One time i was in the freeway and there was this merging lane and I saw this honda civic and something told me "he can't see you" so I switch to the next lane and almost simultaneously he changed to where I was, if I didn't change lanes on that exact moment he would've taken me down but thanks to me trusting my instint it saved me. Another time I was following this suburban and I decided to back off a bit because I couldn't really see what was ahead of the big ol piece of gass-guzzling junk I had in front of me. Almost right after I backed off I see something on my lane, it was a damn suspension SPRING! That would've taken me down as well. All I have to say is if it feels wrong it most likely it is, trust your instints.

I was looking for a bike and I came across this one I have right now. The guy had to leave in 3 days to school and he just wanted to get rid of his bike. Went there and started it up, the thing would barely idle and any trottle input would kil it. I was positive it was a carb problem so I came across to the guy like I wasn't gonna buy it for the $2100 he was asking for because it seemed like it had serious issues. He offered to sell it for $1500 and I said I wasn't gonna buy a bike that's not rideable for more than $1000, guess what, he let it go!! All it took was drain the very old gas in the tank, take out the carbs and clean them with carb cleaner and buy new sparkplugs and vroooom! The bike purred like a kitten and drove great, it feels so much faster than the 250, I mean I barely give it some trottle and it already wants to go!

The difference between the 250 and the gixxer is like learning to ride again, I completely underestimated the 600 because I thought it was an old 600 it was gona be just a bit faster than the 250 boy I was so wrong! I still use the 250 to go work because I feel more comfortable with it and the riding position is way better for daily riding. The gixxer riding position gets my hands all tired in just a couple of minutes. Ok, sorry this was so long but I guess I can call this my introduction to the site!
post #55 of 370 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Track Day Winner

I am also in the new rider category as I have only owned 2 streetbikes both of which were sportbikes.
I do feel however that I am an exception to the rule because I have been racing (not just riding) dirtbikes for over 10 years.
I am fully aware that streetbikes are an entirely new animial but I feel that racing a 2 stroke 500 gives me an edge on throttle control
I bought an 01 ZX6R and was thoroughly dissapointed in the power (i had never riden one and had no access to ride one).
I did find that I love sportbikes and I recently sold the 600 and bought an 02 GSXR1000
the 1000 has the power I thought the 600 would have, I know you have to respect these bikes but you also have to see things in perspective because a 600 is not balls to the wall fast for someone who has been racing dirtbikes
I learned my lesson and im happy as shit with the 1k, ive ridden about 5k miles the last 4 months and each time is more exciting than the last!
post #56 of 370 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 01:46 PM
ALD
Squid

well on the subject on why not to buy a sport bike, I am 19 and about last july i bought a 02 Gsxr 600, and did find out that it is not as forgiving as i was told it would be. but i did have help in learning to ride. Before the guys at the bike shop would let me touch the bike they had me take the MSF course and kept an eye on me on my first ride to make shure i didn't develop and bad riding habbits. since then I have put about 15,000 miles on it but also found out that the cost of repair is high on those bikes in febuary I got cut off in traffic and forced in to a curb and crashed, I boke four ribs brusied internial organs and a really bad headache, even with frame sliders i had a $3500 repair bill. But it is something i will have to live with. But like a friend told me "it is not the bike that makes a ridder good it is the ridder's skill, so rember don't push it take baby steps"

"when you start riding you have a full bag of luck and an empty bag of skill the trick is to fill the bag of skill before you empth the bag of luck"
post #57 of 370 (permalink) Old 06-15-2003, 02:56 AM
Superstock

Motorcycle: 2010 Triumph Street Triple R

post #58 of 370 (permalink) Old 06-15-2003, 05:23 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: graver2k

Quote:
GixxerTech said:

Great write up. I am a firm believer in the ride what you want theory. However that stated, if you can't keep your attitude/ego in check you will be in trouble no matter what you begin on.
I think this can apply to everything. How meany of these 2fast 2 stupid rice boys do you see pushing civics to high speed and then smashing them? look it's just an econo car, and still it can reach130kph and can cause alot of damage. Even if you buy say a pos 1978 i duno with 8hp 2 stroke you can still kil yourself. Heck i've seen guys in scooters downtown toronto race between cars. the thing has what 4hp or something? it's only1 cyl 2 stroke and they are running up to 80kph in these little things.

Its the ego/attitude. If you are stupid you will kill someone/yourself and smash shit up.

how meany ppl here started out on a sport bike? i'm sure there are a few that did and turned out okay. Then you have the average who thinks they are super star and just wana show off. to those I bid them far well and hope to see there parts body & bike on ebay for cheep.

Again I knew a guy with a geo metro, and he smashed that POS at 130kph and it was oly a 3cyl making again what at most 40-80hp. and tahts at best. why did he smash? cuz he thought he was superstar and pushed the car way beyond what you should.

sometimes underpower is a bad thing, makes you think you are better then you are, lets not ferget that too. How meany of us when we started to drive brought your cars up to high speeds? i'm sure just about everyone here, else you would not buy a gixxer

I think there should be a contract here on gixxer, for all these new that sign up form now on they should also sign over any parts body/bike that will be left over. i'm sure alot of use need a new liver or 2 not to mention other bits and pices.
post #59 of 370 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 01:57 AM
Track Day Winner

I have been riding and racing dirt bikes since before i could remember. So, when it came time to get my first asphault worthy bike, the concept of being on two wheels was nothing new to me. I also knew that being cocky can be painful - and expensive. So i went out and bought some kids '93 katana 600. mechanically sound, but ugly. a fixxer upper. i figured it would be civil enough for a first bike yet still somewhat geared towards the gsxr that i would eventually have. i rode the katana around for a couple of years and put a lot of miles on it, as it was my primary mode of transportation. Anyway, things happened and i wasnt able to pick up the gsxr just yet (the army has a way of interfering with your life). i have however ridden my buddies gsxr, a 99/600, and found that although it was a world of difference, it was easy to get the feel for after the katana. i think you ought to be ok as long as you stay humble and remember that you are not a god on two wheels (not just yet). so, respect your ride in all aspects and keep the rubber side down.
post #60 of 370 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Expert

I have many years of riding experience. I am 26 now, and I got my first bike at 11 (enduro). If you live in the city and do most of your driving in the city, it's amazing how fun a "little 50hp" bike is. I own a Hawk NT650 now, and I can guarentee you that (inside city limits and on 55mph two lanes) I can have more fun on that then a GSXR-600/750/1k. Seriously! They are great bikes, and everyone should own one, but a 50hp bike can go 120+ and you can drive it like Mario Fricken Andretti and not worry too much. It's alot funner on a 45-50mph road in the city actually getting on the throttle, go through a few gears, and not be going 100mph. If you want to drive like a crazy bastard on public roads IMHO smaller bikes are the shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode