Why not a Sports Bike for a First Bike ? - Page 2 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 370 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 10:28 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: AzGixxxer
Re: Why not a Sports Bike for a First Bike ?

Well, I guess I ought to jump in here to say that my first bike is a 750. It has always been my dream bike, so when I had an opportunity to trade my turbo car for it straight up, I knew it was the only chance I had to get rid of my car for what I was looking for, so I took it. I don't consider myself an extremist, or a moron. I just took what I could get, and ended up fullfilling my dream to a larger extent. I was planning on a 600cc bike because I was reading gixxer.com for a long time before I got my bike, and even before I registered as a member here. But in my opinon based upon my own experiences as a new rider with a larger bike, it all boils down to how that person is in maturity factor. I could have 1000, but if I respect the throttle and don't get cocky, ride within my limits, I would probably be fine for quite a while as opposed to some hot head on a 500. I admit to opening the throttle up many times to get used to it, and I can honestly say, ego aside, that its not too much power for me. I actually want more straight line power, and I'm 5'9" and 145lbs. I'm a dragger at heart. I don't even personally know anyone that rides a motorcycle besides me. So I'm not trying to man up to anything or anyone. I don't believe the hype, I just love to ride.

Maybe my views will change when I finally get with the group and go carve some canyons. Who knows what the future holds...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 370 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 05:43 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: LuDeS

Correct me if im wrong but i thought "if you had to" locking the rear brake was ok as long as you were traveling in a straight line, at least thats what they told us and made us do in the MSF course...
post #23 of 370 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 06:30 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: LooneyonaWT

Here's a good story for the UK's "new" 33bhp rule. I was restricted to said rule when I passed my test. I got a 45bhp TZR250, then had it tuned to around 55bhp. I got stopped several times and even went to court, did they bring up the 33bhp rule?? did they fuck! It's laughable. So now, I've gone from 50+bhp to 120 no probs. I'm 22 now anyway. I swear some laws are made up because these people get bored!
post #24 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 03:55 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: Bryson Bratcher

Glad I joined now! This was the first post I read when I joined today as I have been going through a bit of a bike decision. I have been riding a Suzuki Katana 600 for about a year now. I've been through the "growing pains". (Like my wreck at 90mph two weeks after I got it, talk about God taking care of fools.......) I have gotten pretty decent at riding as I can usually smoke several of the people I know on much faster bikes. Of course they went out and bought bigger bikes than they can handle. They don't seem to like leaning in at higher speeds. But what I want to know is whether I should move up? I have found a great deal on '03 GSXR750's and I am trying to decide what to do. Any recomendations? My roomate and riding buddy, who is a member of this site and rides a GSXR1000 like a champ, says I'm ready as I am "riding the piss" out ofthe Katana. But I wanted a few more opinions. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
post #25 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 04:15 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: jay0321

About a year? How many miles? You crashed on it already? I don't know... maybe I was a slow learner but I stayed on mine for a few years and I had a 91 Katana 600...I then modded it to as fast as I could get it after a year +. Yes, I too "rode the piss out of it" and thought I was ready. I dropped mine once at a stop lite and it fell while it was idling, this I took as inexperience and I stayed on it before moving up. I made damn sure I was ready and "outgrew it", before I moved up. I am biased to being more careful and patient so you obviously know my advice.

The decision is yours...if you find it "AN ABSOLUTE MUST" to move up, the GSX-R 600 looks nice and plenty fast and better performing than the Katana for your time in the pilot seat..not to say that the Gix6 is anything to scoff at in terms of power and performance that "just anyone" can handle. You will find out just how "obsolete" your katana is if you step up to any Gix. I will definitely guarentee you will find yourself learning all over again.

Whatever your decision bro...please be careful, wear your gear and all that...I would hate to read about you being another statistic.

Semper Fi

Jay
post #26 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 11:28 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR 1000, 03 GSXR 750

Great post Fraggle, very well written.
Way back in the dark ages when I started riding (early 80's) I did my basic learning on a honda xr 75 dirt bike, and I'll admit that the first street bike that I owned was the Honda
MB5, 49cc two stroke street legal approx 55mph top speed. Looking back, thats probably the best decision that I could have made. I rode that for a year or so, like most one accident on it, although I can say (looking back now) that it was almost unavoidable (figure that I'd still end up in the dirt) cager made a left turn about 50 ft in front of me in a 45mph zone 2 lane road, no run off area to the right (deep ditch) couldn't use the left lane for the line of cars backed up behind the cage that took me down, almost made it but hit the right front corner of the cage. Bike was damaged pretty good, (I did slightly better) bent forks, stripped the mirrors off as I went over and left rear shock bent in a lovely C shape, also stripped everything off the left side of the bike, signals front and rear, footpeg, shifter bent the kick stand, and got the typical drop issues on the right as the bike ended up under the car. I was thrown about 50 feet landed on the back of head first then shoulders, hips and legs. End results, left forearm broken 3 places, assorted rash on shins (stripping mirrors off???) broken nose (helmet rotation???) ground almost completely through the plastic/fibreglass shell on the helmet and cracked it (wear good gear folks) still have assorted back problems, but I still average about 6K miles per year.
I figure that if I had started on the GPz 550 that I wanted, it would have been worse.
After almost 20 years riding, I moved up to the GSXR 1000 figuring that I was ready and could handle it, as I was dragging bits on the last couple of bikes. Looking back (to the last few weeks even) all I can say is WRONG ANSWER folks. The litre bikes are so far advanced and powerful that a moments distraction or indescretion can result in a number of things, either acceleration at warp speed or unintended wheelie. Luckily, this one hasn't taken me down, although I will say that a 70mph wheelie while kicked over exiting a turn will get your attention quickly.
Newbies go find a 250cc something at the largest (does big green still make the 100cc enduro?) you will learn the dynamics of how a bike works on something that will forgive a bit of rough handling without turning on you and slamming you to the pavement.

Be safe all.
post #27 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 01:00 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: Clinton Ho

I just bought my 2k3 GSX-R 600 as my first bike and wouldn't think twice about getting any other bike. I've got 600 miles on it now and spent a good time riding it in the rain. No problems here with it being "too much bike"
post #28 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 02:13 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2002 GSX-R 750

Damn.....you guys are now making me nervous. Hehehe. I mean, I have had yearrrrs on bikes (admittedly, all MX bikes until 2002 - and yes, I know it's COMPLETELY different), but when I got my Katana 750, I was a bit nervous, being my first bike and all. I did a ton of practicing in a HUGE, EMPTY parking lot. Then, I took it on the road and was very mild with it. I grew into the bike and like it very much. So, now that I was looking to replace my Katana, I decided to go with a GSX-R. I found an 89 GSX-R750 at a really good deal through someone.

Well, I decided to go with it. I really haven't ridden it yet, but now I'm getting more nervous than I did the first day on my Katana! hehehehe...I know the power output is better on the GSX-R than the Katana, but shouldn't there be some smiliarities? Now, I'm almost afraid that I may have "looked too big" than what I should have. However, I have never put my Katana down (well, I take that back, I did try to put the bike on it's stand without having the stand down! hehehehe, that was embarrassing when I had to slowly lower it to the ground cuz I couldn't hold it up!), so I feel I'm pretty responsible and don't really "hot rod" it around busy traffic streets...

I'm heeding everything you guys are writing and take great respect in that...but now it's making me triple think...but then again, everything might be okay...I guess I'll have to see!

post #29 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Motorcycle: 2k7 Triumph S3

Quote:
Innovazn said:

I just bought my 2k3 GSX-R 600 as my first bike and wouldn't think twice about getting any other bike. I've got 600 miles on it now and spent a good time riding it in the rain. No problems here with it being "too much bike"
Well, gee wizz, you survived 600 miles, and you got wet too.

Well I'm sorry but 600 miles is just a "Fun Sunday" to many riders here.....

When you have 60,000 miles on it, incident free, when you ride around the inside of 750's on track days, and when you understand that its not all about the power we will listen.....

Sqids that figure they aren't after 600 miles
post #30 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Supersport

Motorcycle: Alientank

Quote:
fRaGgLe said:

Quote:
Innovazn said:

Well, gee wizz, you survived 600 miles, and you got wet too.

Well I'm sorry but 600 miles is just a "Fun Sunday" to many riders here.....

When you have 60,000 miles on it, incident free, when you ride around the inside of 750's on track days, and when you understand that its not all about the power we will listen.....

Sqids that figure they aren't after 600 miles
Fraggle has it right here. I'm starting on a small interceptor or an rz350. I'll learn on that MUCH faster then I would on something like a track bike with lights which is essentially what a 600 gix is. Also save myself some money on insurance. Riding a 600 can wait, right now I'm concerned with the basics and not paying big time for any mistakes.
post #31 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Amateur

I think the reason why insurance rates are so damn high is because people go this route without prior experience. Start SLOW people.
post #32 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 01:43 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 04 B/S 1K; 01 Gix 600 Track bike

Quote:
LuDeS said:

Correct me if im wrong but i thought "if you had to" locking the rear brake was ok as long as you were traveling in a straight line, at least thats what they told us and made us do in the MSF course...
Yeah, unfortunately that is what we teach, because we have to; the parameters of the course do not allow for in-depth explication. Wearing a flat spot in your expensive tire is far better than high-siding (trust me, I know). We can teach a basic use of the TRAINING BIKE'S capabilities. What we CAN'T teach (no time) is how to correctly and wisely use the brakes on the bike you ride after the course (unless you took it on a military post, wherein you used your bike). The "if you had to" implies that it would be much better not to put yourself in the position to lock 'em up in the first place. I like the comments about the UK course - I wish we had a course that could provide some of the same throttle time and practice (and solid grounding in safe riding technique). Motorcycling as a sport would benefit greatly from it.
post #33 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Superstock

Motorcycle: GIXXERUK

Quote:
Innovazn said:

bwwwwaaaaahhhhaaaaaaaaa

600 miles thats a days riding ........
post #34 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 12:55 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 2004 GSX-R600

Quote:
GIXXERUK said:

Quote:
Innovazn said:

bwwwwaaaaahhhhaaaaaaaaa

600 miles thats a days riding ........
are you kidding me....he just got past the break in period...now he can take the revs up...providing he hasn't already and tore up the motor!!!
post #35 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSXR750

600 miles????????????
GEEZUS CHRIST!....that's a couple of good days riding for me or just going to and from work for 6 damn days! and what?............because maybe noone's tried to cut you off yet, or you haven't had some sort of incident yet, you think that qualifies you as having experience?
sorry, but fraggle's right, try 60000mi, and then we can talk.

this reminds me of a convo i had w the wife the other day, a couple o yrs ago she was driving us to vegas in a beemer. now she never drove a beemer before, but we got cut off and she swerved...now to control the car she turned the wheel the other way. next thing you know she's turning the wheel L then R, then L......basically any moment we would have crashed just because she didn't know how to handle the situation. after the initial swerve, i kind of freaked and just put one hand on the wheel and said "stop, just hold the damn wheel" and then everything stopped.
the point being, knowing how to handle the situation comes with experience! not just saying "ooh, the guy cut me off"

my rant for the day
post #36 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 08:28 PM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
G-FORCE said:

are you kidding me....he just got past the break in period...now he can take the revs up...providing he hasn't already and tore up the motor!!!
Arnt you supposed to push the motor within the 1st 20 miles to seal the rings?
post #37 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 01:40 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: DeathCannon

600 miles and he is already cocky? Not too much power for him after 600 miles? If Vegas had odds on him getting unscathed out of this whole thing, hoooooooo daawwg... they would not be so good. Stupidity ain't just "should be" painful, it's GONNA be.

Krazy Kager is out there! He's waiting. For you!
post #38 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: Ray

damn that was very deep, kinda made me think hard about the choice i just made. u see i just bought my first gsx-r600, its a 2003 and i mean i went in thinkin well since its one of the smaller bikes(in terms of cc's)n ill be ok, i mean i havent takin my class yet, but im thinkin now after reading all of this that i am gonna just be takin it slow a,d being smart and as safe as possible. i mean just reading this alone gave me a real quick ego check. and im glad that i found this site before it was too late and soemthing bad happened. i also figured since i was a good size weight that i wuold be able to handle it. i am 5'11 220, but now i dont know. im just gonna take it one step at a time and take it slow.
post #39 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 08:42 PM
Squid

I am also a new rider... with a gsxr600...2003, im in the same boat as gixxerboy... we are actually good friends, and got the bikes at the same time... i am 5'1 and not skinny... but i can barely reach the ground on the bike.. i wish there was some way that i could go back in time and sign the papers for a 500 or soemthing, but i cant do that now... what (other than the classes, and being VERY cautious and careful) would you guys reccomend me doing?
post #40 of 370 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 09:13 PM
Superbike

Motorcycle: SicShift

Quote:
gsxr600grl said:

I am also a new rider... with a gsxr600...2003, im in the same boat as gixxerboy... we are actually good friends, and got the bikes at the same time... i am 5'1 and not skinny... but i can barely reach the ground on the bike.. i wish there was some way that i could go back in time and sign the papers for a 500 or soemthing, but i cant do that now... what (other than the classes, and being VERY cautious and careful) would you guys reccomend me doing?
You can shave down the seat height among other things so your feet reach better. Post in mods and how to's for instructions.

Definitely take the MSF course and just take it easy. It's really common to get a false sense of security because you become comfortable with the bike. Keep reminding yourself that you are still knew and just don't become a hot shot. Always wear your gear and don't try any stunts for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode