New Rider in Florida - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: 2016 GSX-R 750 Black on Black
New Rider in Florida

Hi, my name is Olivia. I have a 2016 GSXR-750 all black. (And a 2001 black Bullitt) I haven't been riding long, but managed to put 1,200 miles on my new bike so far and I love every second of it. I was tired of riding on the back so my man got me my own. He rides a 2012 GSXR-1000 all black. Yeah, we have matching bikes pretty much. We lost a friend in March when a Cadillac Escalade pulled out in front of his bike. RIP Chad... it's an eye opener, but I hop back on and keep riding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1277.jpg (38.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0975.jpg (78.1 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by FL_GSXR_Girl; 05-06-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 02:08 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000
Re: New Rider in Florida

Others will confirm it's very dangerous to be on a supersport bike with very limited riding experience.
Please be very careful.
Respecting the bike is not enough.
In an awkward situation and applying too much gas, it will jump right up and hurt you.

I know I sound like a nitpicker, but I've got 30+ years riding experience and ride track as often as possible.

The track is far safer than the street.
Track days are very beginner friendly. I do advise you to do a few track days and take your boy friend with you if he doesn't already do it.
FL_GSXR_Girl likes this.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 05:23 AM
I CAN tell the difference between a squirrel and a monkey...

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Welcome
FL_GSXR_Girl likes this.
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesxara View Post
Others will confirm it's very dangerous to be on a supersport bike with very limited riding experience.
Please be very careful.
Respecting the bike is not enough.
In an awkward situation and applying too much gas, it will jump right up and hurt you.

I know I sound like a nitpicker, but I've got 30+ years riding experience and ride track as often as possible.

The track is far safer than the street.
Track days are very beginner friendly. I do advise you to do a few track days and take your boy friend with you if he doesn't already do it.
Thanks for the advice I've had to learn hard and fast how to ride since the 1,200 miles I've riden so far have been in some serious rush hour traffic, riding to and from work here in retirementville. Of course I had to take a motorcycle enforcement class to get my lisc, but it wasn't very long or intense and it was on a 250cc lol. I've pulled the bike up without even realizing it a couple of times and I'm told by my fiancÚ when I do. This bike IS powerful and I'm learning Day by day what my limits are and should be, throttle response, timing and so on. I would love to take it to the track, but the only thing local is the drag strip and he says to me "No way." He's knows I'd give it all she had haha. I wish we had a road course around here, but we do the winding country roads when we can.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Welcome
Thank you!
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:06 AM
Track Day Winner

Nice and welcome
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKtF View Post
Nice and welcome
Thank you much! Excited to be here. I owned a 93 CBR 600 6 years ago, but only got to put about 5 miles on it. Haha I've been wanting a bike still ever since, so now I'm one happy gal!
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:20 AM
Pipe-laying Admin...

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

So wait, this 750 is basically your first bike?
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
Here we go.....
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Yup
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:36 AM
Pipe-laying Admin...

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_GSXR_Girl View Post
Yup
Definitely not smart...

Read this please: Why "respecting the bike" is bullshit... and seriously consider getting something smaller to learn on.
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Definitely not smart...

Read this please: Why "respecting the bike" is bullshit... and seriously consider getting something smaller to learn on.
I learned to ride on a massive 1991 Honda Hurricane 1000, had a short ride on a CBR 600, got my endorsement on a Rebel 250, so yeah, THIS is my very own first bike.
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:18 AM
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600, '15 Victory Vegas 8-Ball

Pick up a cheap 300 and spend quality time on it (at LEAST 5,000 miles, and not on the highway) and keep the 750 in the garage. Forget about putting the 750 on the track too. You have a lot to learn first in order to even think about hitting the track. You'll run out of skill there, fast. I know some track day organizations require you to have a certain amount of of experience first before attending their events. Have you taken the MSF course?

Read the stickies here in the starting line. Follow the recommendations of the experienced members here if you want to become a good rider. If it's too hot to wear all of your gear head to toe, it's too hot for you to ride.

You're more than welcome to stick around and let us know how you're progressing and if you have any questions

The Great Banning of 2016 survivor.
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Definitely not smart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad314 View Post
Pick up a cheap 300 and spend quality time on it (at LEAST 5,000 miles, and not on the highway) and keep the 750 in the garage. Forget about putting the 750 on the track too. You have a lot to learn first in order to even think about hitting the track. You'll run out of skill there, fast. I know some track day organizations require you to have a certain amount of of experience first before attending their events. Have you taken the MSF course?

Read the stickies here in the starting line. Follow the recommendations of the experienced members here if you want to become a good rider. If it's too hot to wear all of your gear head to toe, it's too hot for you to ride.

You're more than welcome to stick around and let us know how you're progressing and if you have any questions

Fuck all that noise!
Trade that L6 750 in on a turbo Busa
8you4t likes this.
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Currently using pedals..

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Fuck all that noise!
Brah, this is the gixxer forum. Get yo busa bullshit outa here
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 02:44 PM
I'm Sticking Around

Motorcycle: GS750TZ, GSX-R750Y (Gone)

Welcome to you Olivia,

My first bike was a Y2K/GSX-R750 and I was 44 when I started riding. A little late in the game but "nevermind" all that noise. I will tell you, I had an experience where I drifted, hit a guard rail and expected to go AirBourne but I didn't.

Yes, these bikes are dangerous and from what you said about losing a friend, you have an idea of what you're getting into. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and say you probably have better self-control than most of us guys. Plus, you got a fiance who's voice I'm sure you hear even when he's not around. You need the voice of reason to challenge your intentions...granted, you're not a guy so I would imagine it's more toned down.

I love the Black bike you own...my current ride is Black with chrome for that vintage look. Enjoy your 750 and practice all your avoidance moves in an empty parking lot. That's what I do/did when I first started. It's good to hone those skills that you might need.

Welcome to the best Sports Bike site that I know.

Ed

Note to Self: Culture of GDC; Impulse and Perception; Embrace the positive.
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:

I appreciate your wisdom and will take it into consideration yes, I took the motorcycle safety course as it is required here in Florida to get your motorcycle endorsement to ride. I did so well,they made me demonstarate to everyone the next course we were doing! I loved hat class and want to take the advanced class too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old gixxer View Post
Fuck all that noise!
We just sold our turbo busa 😉

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR7ED View Post
Welcome to you Olivia,

My first bike was a Y2K/GSX-R750 and I was 44 when I started riding. A little late in the game but "nevermind" all that noise. I will tell you, I had an experience where I drifted, hit a guard rail and expected to go AirBourne but I didn't.

Yes, these bikes are dangerous and from what you said about losing a friend, you have an idea of what you're getting into. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and say you probably have better self-control than most of us guys. Plus, you got a fiance who's voice I'm sure you hear even when he's not around. You need the voice of reason to challenge your intentions...granted, you're not a guy so I would imagine it's more toned down.

I love the Black bike you own...my current ride is Black with chrome for that vintage look. Enjoy your 750 and practice all your avoidance moves in an empty parking lot. That's what I do/did when I first started. It's good to hone those skills that you might need.

Welcome to the best Sports Bike site that I know.

Ed
I definitely mind my P's and Q's on the road and even though I hear my finances voice the whole time I'm riding (Sena Bluetooth communicators) I hear my instructor's from my motorcycle course.."most accidents happen in curves, treat each curve as if you don't know what's around the corner." And so on. Thanks!
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Currently using pedals..

A lot of mistakes can happen while cornering, but that is only one part of street riding. You have to account for debris in the road, animals, humans, and cagers. It is all too easy to focus on. The first 3 seconds in front of you. In order to be a safe rider, you need to also look 10 seconds ahead and predict any potential threats that the roads, or driver's may present.

That's great you did the MSF course, but remember that you did well in a parking lot. This does not give you predisposed talent on the streets at speeds well over 15-20mph. Not to mention having to react in an actual emergency. In that event, you will always revert back to muscle memory, which you have not developed yet. Spend MORE time with emergency techniques in parking lots. Braking, swerving, etc... In this way, you will have better prepared yourself for real world scenarios.

But seriously, get a 300. If you plan on going to the track, those are mostly what will be passing you up because they are better riders. And if your significant other doesn't see the value in it, he needs to drop his ego, because there is no room for ego on a motorcycle.

Be safe.
FL_GSXR_Girl likes this.
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
A lot of mistakes can happen while cornering, but that is only one part of street riding. You have to account for debris in the road, animals, humans, and cagers. It is all too easy to focus on. The first 3 seconds in front of you. In order to be a safe rider, you need to also look 10 seconds ahead and predict any potential threats that the roads, or driver's may present.

That's great you did the MSF course, but remember that you did well in a parking lot. This does not give you predisposed talent on the streets at speeds well over 15-20mph. Not to mention having to react in an actual emergency. In that event, you will always revert back to muscle memory, which you have not developed yet. Spend MORE time with emergency techniques in parking lots. Braking, swerving, etc... In this way, you will have better prepared yourself for real world scenarios.

But seriously, get a 300. If you plan on going to the track, those are mostly what will be passing you up because they are better riders. And if your significant other doesn't see the value in it, he needs to drop his ego, because there is no room for ego on a motorcycle.

Be safe.
I am very aware of my surroundings and especially further in front of me. Luckily my man is a very experienced rider and does teach me, point out mistakes, how to correct, etc. Unfortunantly, I have already had my experience with sand and learned the hard way. I dropped my bike in the first week trying to turn in a beach parking lot full of sand. Needless to say, I learned from it and trust me, I'm always looking in the road for debris and animals. We live out in the country and I've already had to swerve a couple times to avoid hitting a deer carcass and an alligator (yes, a live baby gator in he road). Scary stuff, but I stayed calm and no matter what road I'm on, I plan for which way I can go if I need to swerve or head off the road.
I'm a female so I'm not afraid to ask for direction Haha Can't wait to see what else I can learn from in the forum. Thanks

OH and I wear ALL my gear ALL the time!

Last edited by FL_GSXR_Girl; 05-07-2017 at 04:47 PM.
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:54 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

She's in Florida, it's all about going in a straight line there, so she could start on a liter bike for all it matters. If she does want to learn how to corner, she'd park that 750 and get a 250/300 so she'll actually learn something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode