Back To The Brotherhood (Story and All) - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By tornfalcon
  • 1 Post By Tekime

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Back To The Brotherhood (Story and All)

Hey all, I'm new to this site but not new to the GSXR family.

Last October 30th I had owned a 2011 750 and on a beautiful night ride home after watching a moto GP race, a friend and I were cruising home at about 80 on our fancy interstate here in Las Vegas. We were having a casual conversation about what time to meet up and ride tomorrow, since it was about 0300 both of us didn't want that early sun haha. All the sudden I hear him say "watch your back watch you back watch yoo...." And in that moment a 2017 fiat spyder came straight through the back of my 750cc god send of a child at 120mph. (That's the speed the officer guessed based on damage to both the bike and his car). This fiat went up over the rear tire and smashed into the rear spring pushing me and the bike forward quite a ways still attached like two happy best friends with engines. When I felt him hit the brake I started pulling the front brake and as we disconnected went into a fun "let's look straight at the ground moment" while my read tire hit the ground and bounced up sending me into a pretty decent endo. I was sucked up on top of the take of the gsxr to get out of the way and hopefully save my legs from the chopping block coming from my behind. I held that endo pulling and letting go trying to balance for a good while until I realized we were pretty much not touching anymore and I slid back as fast as I could and slammed the rear of the bike back down onto the freeway. From there it was all coasting to the middle of the freeway where I got off the bike and laid down on the median separating both ways of traffic.

Friend checked on me, called the cops, we handled everything and went home.
I'm not a big fan of leaving my bike places and I was pumped up with my own natural
painkiller. I was able to limp the bike home at 10-15 mph for about 10 miles, where I learned that she was a total loss. I mean call me sentimental but that bike just went through hell and back with me I wanted to keep her forever hahaha!

So after all the hospital trips and time off work and PT and pain and all the shit that comes with these stories I can proudly say that yesterday I picked up a 2014 GXSR 750 50th Ann edition and she is a beautiful bike. Rode it for the first time today heading to work and dear god I missed that feeling. Being in a cage will never compare.

Now, the problem here is I've ordered a bunch of parts already and I know before the end of the week I'll be ordering more! So i'll throw this in here because if you've made it this far you might be able to help me... Do you all know about any threads on how to switch to GP shift on a 2014 gsxr 750?
I did it to my '11 and I will say its gonna take some getting used to the one down five up world again.

I had some normal bulbs in the '11 and I am wondering about switching to CREE LED or just poping in a set of the special sylvania's. What do you all run or recommend?

Also, the bike came with a slip on so that was a plus, however I had a full akrapovic on the '11 and I'd like to start getting back to the set up I had before. Do you all know what years of the 750/600 match for exhaust? Since I'm looking for a full set up I'd like to get the ideas flowing.

Thank you and glad to be back on two wheels!
XBD and Tekime like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Pipe-laying Admin...

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage
Re: Back To The Brotherhood (Story and All)

The switch to GP shift will be the same on the L4 as it was on the L1, they are the exact same bike.

Same with the exhaust.

L1-L7 600/750 are all the same bike for the most part.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:06 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 2011 gsxr750
Back To The Brotherhood (Story and All)

:

OP Just make sure the shift arm is 90 per the service manual .

I'd leave the halogen bulbs on the bike . If you want better lighting I recommend retrofitting a projector.

Only difference between your L1 and L4 as far as the exhaust is the need to: add a servo buddy or flash the ECU in order to get rid of the FI.

Glad you're still alive and kicking :thumb up:
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
The switch to GP shift will be the same on the L4 as it was on the L1, they are the exact same bike.

Same with the exhaust.

L1-L7 600/750 are all the same bike for the most part.
Thank you! I figured it'd be just as much but wanted to make sure. Sounds like I have a good project afterwork!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motionelco View Post
:

OP Just make sure the shift arm is 90 per the service manual .

I'd leave the halogen bulbs on the bike . If you want better lighting I recommend retrofitting a projector.

Only difference between your L1 and L4 as far as the exhaust is the need to: add a servo buddy or flash the ECU in order to get rid of the FI.

Glad you're still alive and kicking :thumb up:
Honestly I'll probably end up leaving them, they never bothered me on the old
'11.

A flash I plan to do when it goes full and with the addition of a quick shifter so that ones written down haha.

Thanks, was a good experience to say the least lol.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Track Day Winner

Garage

That's scary as hell, glad you're okay and congrats on the new bike.
tornfalcon likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:22 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2008 GSX-R600

Scary story. What was the excuse of the person driving the Fiat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode