• 1 Post By oldgixxer
  • 1 Post By 8you4t
  • 1 Post By Carnage
  • 2 Post By le skid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Squid

New guy lol

Hey everyone, new to the page, and returning rider. I'm 35, used to ride in my late teens, early twenties, started on a 600 CBR back then (I know) until I moved from Europe to the United States 13 years ago. Life and a blood (and money) sucking ex wife got in the way, and wasn't able to ride, until now. Picked up a beautiful leftover 15 Gixxer 600 in blue a month ago with 0 miles for a steal. Been riding firmly with the Bitch Switch on lol until I get the rust out of my ass and the tires worn in. The reason I bought this bike is because I've always loved Gixxers, and the power mode switch is just awesome. In (B)itch mode it's so nice and forgiving, I love it. My drivers license was European last time I ride, so I have my Temps, and starting the Motorcycle course end of April (cold here in Ohio still) so I'm very excited. Did a couple mods and necessary changes I think. Got the OEM cowl cover, stripped the passenger pegs, Gixxerboys Type 2 plate relocator with reflectors to keep shit legal, and an M4 GP shorty. (with baffle in so it's Ohio legal) anyway, here she is. Tips, comments are always welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:23 AM
I CAN tell the difference between a squirrel and a monkey...

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Re: New guy lol

Welcome to the forum
blazenblue likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:37 AM
Vegemite-eating SuperModerator...

Motorcycle: K3 GSXR 1000/2011 R1/2004 CBR 600RR track bike / 1994 GSXR 750/1996 CBR900RR / 2002 sv650s (wifes) /2003 CBR600RR / 2006 CBR 1000RR / 1997 GSXR 600 / 2001 RSV Aprilia 1000 / 2011 Z1000 / 2006 VTR 1000

Welcome , bike looks good ... as you said take your time to polish the skills !!!
blazenblue likes this.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8you4t View Post
Welcome , bike looks good ... as you said take your time to polish the skills !!!
Yeah definitely. I'm excited for the rider course. I'm doing the full beginner course, not the "short" returning rider one. I've calmed down a lot in the last few years so I'm not having an itchy finger to get it into "A" mode till I feel I'm ready. I've got a beautiful long windy 30 MPH park road a mile from my house so I'm just getting the feel of the bike and getting used to everything again in a relaxed pace. First 10 miles were REALLY rusty lol, but after that I started getting into the groove better. It's still F***ing cold so I've only put 40 miles on the bike so far lol.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Drunkz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Welcome! Cool thing is...when it comes to motorcycles, it's like well....riding a bike! You're comfort and skill level should jump right back to where it was where you left off last time in short order. Like you pretty much said, no need to rush it. Enjoy.
blazenblue likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:51 AM
That's "Mr. Chalet" to you...

Welcome
After a near fatal fall in '97, I too took a good 10 year hiatus from riding. While what @Carnage said above is true (it's like riding a bike), I lost my edge... err, balls in the turns. Take your time get your skills back and enjoy that most pretty new scoot of yours.

I'm not sure but might it not look better without the OEM plastic bit covering the M4? Aesthetics aside, the weight / aero benefits would give you an extra 10-15 mph top-end
Carnage and blazenblue like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by le skid View Post
Welcome
After a near fatal fall in '97, I too took a good 10 year hiatus from riding. While what @Carnage said above is true (it's like riding a bike), I lost my edge... err, balls in the turns. Take your time get your skills back and enjoy that most pretty new scoot of yours.

I'm not sure but might it not look better without the OEM plastic bit covering the M4? Aesthetics aside, the weight / aero benefits would give you an extra 10-15 mph top-end
I thought about it, but the M4 isn't exactly pretty lol. And everything mechanical is black, but the M4 has a big fat chrome fastener. OCD as I am, that wouldn't do. The stock heatshield attaches really nicely to the M4. No rattle, no play, nice quality stuff. The sound with the baffle in is prettier, but not louder (at least till 7.5k RPM, during break-in, haven't had it passed it yet)

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Little update, walked into the local Cycle Gear to finish up buying my necessary gear for the upcoming season. Needed pants and boots. Boots were easy. Alpinestars SMX-1 I believe they're called. Comfy, easy to get in, inner and outer ankle protection, perfect. Now, pants. Whatintheeverlovingf**k 😂 I wear 34/36 waist jeans depending on the brand. I'm 6'4 so not too bad, but still, could be better. Anyway, the guy gives me a 36 and a 38 Alpinestars set of leather pants, and even in the 38 there was noooooo way. It was like trying to shove a golf ball down a garden hose. Ugh! So, I I tried a pair of Sedici leathers. Was the 2-piece pants version of their 1-piece suit, and after a quick Google on quality and real world crash tests, I settled on them. 36 fit like a glove, very comfy, armor and padding are where they should, and they don't look half bad. 2 inches of snow last night, but 60 on saturday.... yay Ohio!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode