Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Motorcycle Insurance in California

1K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Anthony D 
#1 ·
So looking for full coverage insurance in California (comp,collision,liability). Any recommendations? I just switched to Geico and asked them for FULL coverage ins which I thought they gave me.... but when I crashed my bike last week they said I didn't have collision (and kindly told me I'm screwed) and would call a tow truck and charge me for it. Needless to say I cancelled Geico while I repair my bike and wanted a real established insurance agency.

#2 ·
Ultimately, it is your responsibility to ensure you have the proper coverage you want/need. Sorry about your situation, but consider it a lesson learned. Always review your own policy, people make mistakes. Geico, Progressive, State Farm, Direct General (was by far the least expensive for me) are all great options. You're riding experience and demographics will all be considerations. Do your own shopping around and see what companies will offer you. It's different for everybody.

Hope you're doing after you wreck. What happened?

You still haven't introduced yourself. Please tell us about your riding experience.

#5 ·
The problem here is that he wants someone to tell him where to get the best deal instead of searching for himself. This same attitude is what cost him in the end by thinking the agent he spoke with at Geico took care of everything for him. :thumbup

#8 ·
I have been with All State for the past 20+ years for all my vehicles, 2 cars, two houses, two bikes and Life insurance. comparing prices...still Allstate takes care of me....they do explain in plain detail all the coverages.

I had an accident few years ago....costs to say the least, Helicopter service....was very expensive. but after all.....Allstate came in and cleaned house. they took care of me with out my premiums going up.

and this is why I am still with them. in my opinion...they know their stuff....always with two hands open to help out.

#12 ·
A friend of mine and myself were coming back from a ride...a charity ride for kids....we were both riding bikes, i was riding a ducati and my friend riding a zx10......we were cruising at 55 mph...going back home when a car made a left turn in front of us.....the driver was on his cell phone, not paying attention.......we tried to break the best way we could....i braked not locking my front brake, tried to manuever the best way i could, tried to go on the shoulder of the road and braking at the same time....but the car continued to go off the road, on to the shoulder....i ended up hitting the car on the front fender, passenger side.....i flew over the hood landing on a barb wire fence....nothing was broken.....by my shoulder ligaments, right leg ligaments, right wrist broken, left elbow, ligaments were damaged severe.

i was wearing all gear.... i landed on the barb wire fence, which shreded my back ......no damage, cause i was wearing my body armor, back protector, suit, boots, gloves.....if it was not for my back protector.....my spine would have been ripped open. i landed on the fence....i was conscious the whole time......i tried to crawled but i couldnt....the bike landed on the other side of the fence.....two minutes after the accident, the bike caught on fire.....witnesses ran to our aid. a couple pull me out of the shoulder to the street....since the fire was catching up to me.

my friend hit the rear section of the car....he flew over the trunk...landing on hard pavement.....he broke his two legs, collarbone, right arm, three ribs and had a concussion....he blacked out.

chp got there with paramedics, i was conscious the whole time.....i told the chps that i got witnesses and to grab my wallet to get all information needed to make the report. before the chp and ambulance got there.....the driver of the car fled the scene....no plates, no one bother to write the plates down.
but i saw the car very good as soon i was able to drive....i was able to look for the bastard.

the helicopter landed few yards from our site.....we were lifted and taken to our nearest trauma center......the hospital called my medical insurance.....which i have to admit they responded right away....i was transfered to one of their new facilities and started working on me very fast.

it was very difficult for my family...... we are very well now.

It was very difficult for me to stay away from something that i have been riding for 21 years.

i still ride....and have two bikes.:punk

#14 ·
Thanks for sharing that Z, I'm sorry to hear about all of that but glad you pulled through :cheers This company is great. My agent from my small town still remembers who I am by name, even though I've been gone for 4 years in the USAF :lol
@Jayhova12 Hopefully this will open your eyes a little bit. Things like this WILL happen, even to new riders. When you put a new rider on a larger bike, it can only make it worse.

#18 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself, I live in Northern California, I joined about a week ago. I'm 41 been Street riding for 24 years, (never track raced). Currently rebuilding my 05 GSXR 1000 from a crash 2 weeks ago splitting traffic when a honda civic decided to put the squeeze on me. This interrupted my 87 GSXR 750 and 88 GSXR 1100 projects and causing me to miss most of this upcoming summer riding.

#20 · (Edited)
Insurance companies are all snakes
The least cover for the most money they can charge and even then they will look deeply for any angle not to pay out.

As long as your ok it's only a bike and a lesson learned.
But insurance is like a helmet, worth paying out for really good cover because whe you need it, you really do need it

#24 ·
I know Geico online will show you insurance rates for different insurance companies. Back in the 80's I went to an insurance broker who would search for the lowest rates for you among all insurance companies. I am not aware of any online tool you can use to find the best rates. With the limited data you provide on online insurance sites you usually get a quote that is much higher than what you actually get if you call or go to their office for a quote, for example online you may be quoted $3000.00 a year but if you speak with them you might get a quote for $300.00 a year. If you bundle your insurance with car, motorcycle, boat, renters, home owners you will get a much lower rate than just for one item. In some states "State Farm" will not insure you if you only have a bike but in Texas they will.

#25 ·
My wife and I just left Geico because they wouldn't budge on their prices for us at all even after I told them that I had been shopping around and found a better deal. You'd think they would have at least matched the prices we got from the competition to save us the hassle of switching companies. We ended up over at State Farm with really no hassle at all with much lower premiums.

I think the best way to shop for insurance is to get on the phone with several different companies and pit each policy and premiums against the other. That's probably the best way to shop for anything actually. Of course it would help if you own multiple vehicles out right, no accidents, no tickets, are married and over 30.

#28 ·
I used State Farm when I rode on the street, and it was like $300/year for full coverage.

For a street bike, always, always, always make sure you have collision and theft insurance.

Call around, have your coverage requirements in front of you, and ask for a quote based on those requirements. When you find the company you want and sign up for it, make sure you review your policy documents as soon as you get them.

Sorry to hear about your wreck, glad you are ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.