Why "respecting the bike" is bullshit... - Page 3 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 12:42 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: L5 750
Re: Why "respecting the bike" is bullshit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
No worries man. Just take your time on the 750. They have been incredibly fast for a while now. The 750 will reward you once you begin to get along with it.

Edit: I'll add to my post that a few track days won't hurt now that you have a bit of experience under your belt. Did you completely get rid of the SV? Many track guys (even some street guys) completely rebuilt the SV's front end for better handling and have gotten great results. Please tell us you didn't get rid of such a capable bike over a few suspension woes that can easily be fixed!!!
I put a busa rear shock in it and race tech 1k springs in front, but without putting emulators in you can still only adjust preload and I didn't want to do a gsxr front end on it

Last edited by jaker 750; 01-11-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 08:33 AM
Drunkz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis119 View Post
I'm hoping the same with mine. Going from the carb'd 600 to an fi 750 since this past spring is like night and day
Yeah man...I bought your same gen 750 years ago (2001) in my senior year of high school and I rode it through college. No car back then. Awesome bike and I wish I still had it. Crashed due to a Harley rider hittin me but that's another story. That bike was definitely revolutionary for it's time. There are only a million articles on it from that era. If I could find another in mint shape I just might buy one. But that's damn near impossible now.

Hold on to it if you can. One of my buddies bought one about 6 years ago and I took a ride on it and not only did it bring back memories for me, but it reminded me how potent the 2000-2001 750 actually was. They are deceptively fast and handle very well.

I'd rather ride and control an Analog bike than ride and be controlled by a Digital one.
post #43 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:43 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: k8 600, 11 fz6r

Well i started on my 11 fz6r thought i "outgrew" it after a year (40,000 miles) bought a k8 600 rode it a few months, hit a deer, decided that it was way to powerful and aggressive of a bike. fixed the bike all up but decided its only for track days and racing. i am a very happy man i took that bike of the road where i live. the fz6r is great and i still smoke squids on their 1000s on my local roads. thinking of getting an 02 fz1 though. i just want a little more bike and a lot better suspension.

Not really a point other than ive done a lot of miles and personally i think having a super sport is just a terrible idea on the road(at least where i live because there isnt many straights.
post #44 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:44 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: k8 600, 11 fz6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinnuts View Post
Well i started on my 11 fz6r thought i "outgrew" it after a year (40,000 miles) bought a k8 600 rode it a few months, hit a deer, decided that it was way to powerful and aggressive of a bike. fixed the bike all up but decided its only for track days and racing. i am a very happy man i took that bike of the road where i live. the fz6r is great and i still smoke squids on their 1000s on my local roads. thinking of getting an 02 fz1 though. i just want a little more bike and a lot better suspension.

Not really a point other than ive done a lot of miles and personally i think having a super sport is just a terrible idea on the road(at least where i live because there isnt many straights.
also i am aware of the 680 grammar mistakes i made. never been to much of a stickler for it unless its for work.
post #45 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 02:33 AM
Drunkz again

Garage

We weren't gonna bust your balls about that.

post #46 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 07:43 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSX-R 750

oh no wai, you need straights for a supersport? What about the superior braking, suspension, and throttle response? Lol

I hear what you're saying, I upgraded from my FZ6R to a K6 750, it's more than enough bike for every single purpose on the street.
Da2ndplan likes this.
post #47 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 10:36 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2000 gsxr 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinnuts View Post
also i am aware of the 680 grammar mistakes i made. never been to much of a stickler for it unless its for work.

Quote:
We weren't gonna bust your balls about that.

Wouldn't be gdc if we didnt tho..so...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1453476963188.jpg (43.9 KB, 70 views)
post #48 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Squid

This is a question for those talking about riders shouldn't jump up to a sport bike without experience on a smaller bike. (Which I totally agree and that's exactly what I did) Would you equate experience in "years riding" or "miles ridden"? I ask because I know people who have been riding for 3-4 years and have ridden maybe 5000 miles total. Then theres myself who's been riding for a year and have >13,000 miles in that year. What is "experienced"? I don't understand how years of riding vs actual mileage ridden is what makes someone more experienced. I hear all the time "oh you've only been riding a year?" Yes, but my miles ridden is 3xs what you've ridden fool. I get no experience with my bike sitting in my garage, not riding it. So if experienced riders are based of miles ridden and NOT the amount of time a rider has owned and parked the bike in the garage, what is the mileage you would say bumps someone up from rookie to more experienced? (Note-I believe there's more to being experienced as well such as school/track but this is questioning mileage vs years owning the bike)
paulgt73 likes this.
post #49 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Drunkz again

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis119 View Post
Wouldn't be gdc if we didnt tho..so...
You ain't lyin
post #50 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:45 PM
Drunkz again

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
This is a question for those talking about riders shouldn't jump up to a sport bike without experience on a smaller bike. (Which I totally agree and that's exactly what I did) Would you equate experience in "years riding" or "miles ridden"? I ask because I know people who have been riding for 3-4 years and have ridden maybe 5000 miles total. Then theres myself who's been riding for a year and have >13,000 miles in that year. What is "experienced"? I don't understand how years of riding vs actual mileage ridden is what makes someone more experienced. I hear all the time "oh you've only been riding a year?" Yes, but my miles ridden is 3xs what you've ridden fool. I get no experience with my bike sitting in my garage, not riding it. So if experienced riders are based of miles ridden and NOT the amount of time a rider has owned and parked the bike in the garage, what is the mileage you would say bumps someone up from rookie to more experienced? (Note-I believe there's more to being experienced as well such as school/track but this is questioning mileage vs years owning the bike)
Good post.

I don't think you'll find a set answer on this though.

Many of us here grew up on bikes as kids and then transitioned to the street bikes as teenagers and of course now ride as seasoned adults.

Also, many of us here have lots of track time and have even won amateur road races and hang the trophies on the wall because we can. And you should if you've actually made the podium.

Hard to compare some 13,000 miles to folks who are really experienced that have been riding riding all their lives.

I did 14,000 miles in a Boston summer on my 750. You only get a few months to ride in Boston before the snow hits again. We know that. Don't get me wrong, you can learn a lot even within 13,000 miles. I understand how you feel but be careful not to get ahead of yourself.

Your experience will be relative always. There will always be faster, better, more seasoned rider than you. You just get over it, ride on, and enjoy yourself.

I'd rather ride and control an Analog bike than ride and be controlled by a Digital one.
post #51 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
On hiatus...

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

It is all about seat time. Years/seasons riding doesn't mean shit if you only ride 2,000miles per year.

I would say once you pass the 10,000mile mark, you can consider yourself experienced.

Between street and track miles, I am somewhere above the 0.001 mile range...

Last edited by oldgixxer; 01-22-2016 at 05:16 PM.
post #52 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Squid

I don't consider myself experienced at all..I have so much to learn!!! It was more a question because I see so many people claim they've been "riding for years" and imo unless you're putting miles on your bike I dgaf about how many years your bike has sat in your garage! Ownership doesn't automatically make you experienced. Mileage does. Track does.
post #53 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 02:38 PM
Squid

Quote:

Your experience will be relative always. There will always be faster, better, more seasoned rider than you. You just get over it, ride on, and enjoy yourself.
I'm always learning. And love learning from those who have knowledge and more experience!
post #54 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 02:39 PM
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
It is all about seat time. Years/seasons riding doesn't mean shit if you only ride 2,000miles per year.
Exactly!
post #55 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 03:21 PM
I CAN tell the difference between a squirrel and a monkey...

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:

I would say once you pass the 10,000mile mark, you can consider yourself experienced.

Between street and track miles, I am somewhere above the 0.001 mile range...

Wow,your mileage is impressive. Fuckin slacker
MyNameIs likes this.

Last edited by oldgixxer; 01-22-2016 at 05:16 PM.
post #56 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 03:40 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2014 GSXR1000
Garage

I don't think just mileage on it's own is a good indicator, you could ride 100 miles on the highway at 65mph and learn almost nothing or do a 100 miles on a set of twisty back roads and really improve your cornering as a result...
MyNameIs likes this.
post #57 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
On hiatus...

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfall2008 View Post
I don't think just mileage on it's own is a good indicator, you could ride 100 miles on the highway at 65mph and learn almost nothing or do a 100 miles on a set of twisty back roads and really improve your cornering as a result...
Correct, which is why I said 10,000 miles. That is a good amount of miles and will more than likely cover a lot of different riding experiences
MyNameIs likes this.
post #58 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 05:06 PM
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfall2008 View Post
I agree!
post #59 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 10:55 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: L5 750

I feel you on that question about experience , when I tell people I only been riding for a little over a year they give me weird looks because of my short time

But in that year I have rode over 14k on three different bikes and 80% is canyon rides, when we do canyon rides we do about 150 miles that day and because of that I rack up miles quick
springfall2008 and MyNameIs like this.

Last edited by jaker 750; 01-23-2016 at 12:29 AM.
post #60 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 02:48 PM
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face

Motorcycle: '06 G1K, '08 CBR1000RR, '13 Ducati MTS 1200

Quote:
True...but you're never too experienced to stop learning.

We "experienced" riders are nothing but squids who survived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode