New Riders: R Bikes as a first bike, Dont post a new thread! - Page 3 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Amateur

Re: New Riders: R Bikes as a first bike, Dont post a new thr

My firs real street bike was a 03 GSXR 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:12 AM
Squid

Re: New Riders: R Bikes as a first bike, Dont post a new thread!

I am going to purchase my first sport bike (GSX-R600). I had never even ridin a bike 2 months ago until I rode my friends and I've been riding it from time to time since and I haven't had the first problem of controlling it. Well I though i'd ad my input.
post #43 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Donald

I think people are still missing the point.

No one is saying you CAN'T start on an SS bike.
No one is saying that you WILL die if you do.
No one is even saying that you WILL crash immediately if you do.

All we're saying is that

It is much easier to make a mistake on an SS bike.

When you do make that mistake (and we ALL make mistakes, I don't care WHAT you have "between the ears") it's likely to have much worse results on an SS bike.

It is usually MUCH more expensive to repair an SS bike.

You will almost ALWAYS be a better rider if you start out on a slower bike before moving to an SS bike.

Bottom line is: This is America. If you're over 18, buy whatever the hell you want to. Just don't go asking experienced riders to tell you that you made a good choice, because %99.9 of us aren't going to do it.

I mean, the obvious example would be to drive for years in all types of street vehicle, including corvettes and vipers... and then feel that you can handle a top fuel dragster. Yes, you might live, yes, you might not even crash, yes you may even get good at it... but is it really all that likely? nope.

We're just talking about what is the BEST way to do it based on our experience, nothing more, nothing less.
post #44 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Dean Adams

I had a metric cruiser for a few months and learned controls and the basics of riding. That bike killed itself and sat around for almost a year before I convinced the wife to get me a new one. I wanted to get another cruiser but really wanted a fat boy but didn't want to spend the money at this time. Well, I decided to get a sport bike because they were cheaper. I talked with people and the only advice I got was to get a 600cc bike to start with. I went to the dealership and looked at 600cc bikes and based my decision purely on looks. If I had known about the fairings for sv650s then I probably would have bought one. I really liked the full fairing look and the one I liked most was the gsxr600 so I bought it. After I bought it I searched the internet for information on gsxr's and found this site. I check this site everyday and read all the posts about how to ride and common mistakes and have a better understanding of what I bought. Needles to say I scare myself daily on this thing but I feel that because I have not been able to go over 40 on it yet I am able to realize how finicky this thing can be and therefore I have become way more cautious then I probably would have been. In retrospect I wish I had bought a different bike but I love my bike and will be taking extra caution. I'm a pretty level headed person with a strong love of life so I think in the end I'll be ok but I wish I had known about this site before I bought it. Such is the fortunes of life as they say. I start the msf course today(20 may) and have met with a few experienced gsxr riders that have offered to continue my education in riding and to help me keep from killing myself. Well, I'll end my drunken ramble now. Take care everyone and be safe. I'd kind of like to talk to all of you again!
post #45 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:22 PM
MG6
Supersport

Motorcycle: G6 01

Quote:
I had a metric cruiser for a few months and learned controls and the basics of riding. That bike killed itself and sat around for almost a year before I convinced the wife to get me a new one. I wanted to get another cruiser but really wanted a fat boy but didn't want to spend the money at this time. Well, I decided to get a sport bike because they were cheaper. I talked with people and the only advice I got was to get a 600cc bike to start with. I went to the dealership and looked at 600cc bikes and based my decision purely on looks. If I had known about the fairings for sv650s then I probably would have bought one. I really liked the full fairing look and the one I liked most was the gsxr600 so I bought it. After I bought it I searched the internet for information on gsxr's and found this site. I check this site everyday and read all the posts about how to ride and common mistakes and have a better understanding of what I bought. Needles to say I scare myself daily on this thing but I feel that because I have not been able to go over 40 on it yet I am able to realize how finicky this thing can be and therefore I have become way more cautious then I probably would have been. In retrospect I wish I had bought a different bike but I love my bike and will be taking extra caution. I'm a pretty level headed person with a strong love of life so I think in the end I'll be ok but I wish I had known about this site before I bought it. Such is the fortunes of life as they say. I start the msf course today(20 may) and have met with a few experienced gsxr riders that have offered to continue my education in riding and to help me keep from killing myself. Well, I'll end my drunken ramble now. Take care everyone and be safe. I'd kind of like to talk to all of you again!
don't mind me asking, did you have the MSF under your belt?
post #46 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Amateur

Started the course today (20 May) and finnish it up tomorrow.
post #47 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 09:39 AM
MG6
Supersport

Quote:
Started the course today (20 May) and finnish it up tomorrow.
congrats.. let us know how it went.
post #48 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Amateur

The training area has a construction site next to it and the idiots put 8 concrete power polls in the middle of the test area So now instead of being done today we have to meet the guy everday at 1630 (4:30 pm for you military types ) for the rest of the week. A serious inconvenience considering I sold my car and was going to use the bike to get back and forth to work! On the bright note, I'm learning alot I'll keep ya updated.
post #49 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Squid

I'm not even sure if I should posting to this, but since .02 & what you're first bike is, has been asked for...

My first bike in some years, a '98 Suzuki GSXR - 600.

I had ridden some years ago, took the MSF class as well, but it's been so long I considered that time irrelevant. I took the class again recently, and have begun reacquainting myself with the joys of riding.

It also scares the crap out of me.

I was told that if riding does scare me, then my mindset is in the right place. I suppose that to mean that I will have a healthy respect for riding such a bike and what's involved.

It's been stated that it's better to start out smaller, thus the 'R' bikes aren't the best choice for starting out. It was also stated that sport biking has become quite the new fad. I see more people riding now, all sorts of men & women, than I saw when I originally years ago. Those two statements right there define the current climate. For many it just ISN'T practical to start out on 500's and peer pressure will dictate that other bikes such as SV -650's and such aren't acceptable.

You can rail on about how one shouldn't pick their bike based on the impressions of others, but also keep in mind that many ride to associate with others. This kind of makes the opinions of others important. Let's also not forget that there's probably only a handful of salesmen in your state who would steer you away from the latest sportbike to something more practical & forgiving.

The simple fact is, as pointed out this is the U.S., not Europe or Japan. Starting out on 400's or 500's isn't the norm, it's an exception. The culture here has dictated that starting out on 600's are the way to go, and for some more pig headed, even that is not acceptable. I went to dealerships who made their assessments of what bike I should get based on my physical size. Skill to them was irrelevant. Because of my build I should be on a 1K, maybe a 750, but I'd look silly on a 600. Out of the many magazines out there, how many discuss older bikes? How many cover articles have you ever seen on the SV - 650, the Katana, or the EX - 500? There are now magazines dedicated to the sport biking culture, how many times have you seen anything besides a stunter or a chromed out Hayabusa on the cover?Why? Because that's what the current culture has been groomed on. Only the latest, greatest, fastest, and shiniest will do.

While what you are saying is admirable, and believe me I respect, I can see where Spongebob is coming from. You've had the time to develop your skills across bikes, you've made your bike choices based on what is good for you and damn the opinions of others. For many who just jump into sportbiking, that isn't going to happen. They are in it now, for however long, and riding 'practical' bikes isn't what they envisioned. Telling anyone their dream is impractical, no matter how right you are, isn't going to be met with the most receptive ears.

I've come to realize that while that fear I stated I have earlier, is a healthy thing, it's also counter productive. Why would anyone willingly do something they fear? I have to respect riding & the bike, but not fear it. As long as I'm gripped by an overwhelming fear that an idiot motorist will not see me, send me in a situation I may not be prepared for, I will never enjoy riding. I will never truly improve my riding skills. This flies in the face of the fact that I've been put into the same situation while driving my car, on a regular basis, just driving to work. The difference of course being that behind the wheel of my car, I have that confidence that I've built from years of driving. Whether or not it's deserved, whether I've driven F-1, Rally, tuner, or high performance, it's a confidence I've gained from repeatedly driving and getting comfortable.

While dissuading newbs such as myself from bikes that are beyond their grasp is admirable, it may also be just as important to help them with their choices. As stated, here in the states, the sport bike craze has been built on the latest jet technology disguised as a two wheeled motor vehicle. The greatest advantage new riders like myself have, are veterans such as yourself, who can impart riding advice you've already learned. Yes, it would make us better riders if we'd gone the same route as you, but that just may not happen. Some may not be dedicated to become the expert riders, for them it's a casual thing. Others may want that learning experience and will have to find their own way.

I guess all I am trying to say is that the road you took to gain your cycling experience may not be the same for others.
post #50 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 12:41 AM
Amateur

I agree with your post jaymax, but I think maybe you missed the point the rev was trying to make. Like you said in your post that the veterans on the site are the best source of information, well that's what his post is all about. He is putting out info so that maybe others won't make the mistake that thousands of people, including myself, are making and that is buying a R bike as a first bike. It's a shame that when a veteran tries to put out good info like this that some people (not you) take offence to it as though it was a personal attack. just my 2 cents
post #51 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 12:59 AM
Squid

I was hoping I got across, that I didn't disagree with anything Rev said, I just saw where Spongebob was coming from. One of the joys of posting online, is perception. I don't think Rev was insulting or condescending, but on the various boards with safety concious vets ( such as this one ) you often hear "Don't buy the bike you want, you probably aren't ready for it. You should get a bike none of your friends are riding!" Now, I know no one said that, but that is the power of perception.

The advice was sound, very sound, I was just saying the current climate of sport biking may make that advice impractical. A practical advice maybe how one can acquire the skills on a sport bike. Perhaps looking for trackdays that offer info, books ( Like the very good Total Control book that I am reading now ), what to study in other riders you are riding with, so on. As was stated before, those that are going to get a sportbike 600, 750, 900, 1000, & more, are probably set on living that dream. We all just hope it doesn't turn into a nightmare.
post #52 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Amateur

gotcha. I understand your post a lot better now. thanks for the clarification!
Be safe
post #53 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 06:13 PM
MG6
Supersport

Jay - i agree about the perception of how other people have this great influence on the choices you make, buy and think. Totall agree with your statement.

But what we all trying (vets) on here is to let the word out. You have no idea how many people don't even know the term snug fit means when purchasing gears let alone thinking they could start out on a 600 R bike.

It isn't a joke when we hear "I drop my bike" on this forum and others but it is the norm. We do try our best to bash (teach) the heck out of the new person who is asking for help in which bike they should get. Some get the point and some don't until they learn their lesson. We got some peep on here reported back that they crashed their bike and they should have taken our advice because they downgrade to a smaller bike.

Stuff like this happens. What we try to do on here (GDC) is to let anyone post up what they feel and of course ask as much question as possible. That is why we take our time to even answer any questions on this starting forum. We could just laugh it off by reading what types on here but instead of laughing, we educate them on what we know and what we experience from ourselves and friends.
post #54 of 1196 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Supersport

Motorcycle: ex650

bump. TTT. Seeing a lot of threads that this thread can answer without making new ones.
post #55 of 1196 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Track Day Winner

this thread should be stickied. that way i wouldnt of had to post ,im assuming, yet another thread on R bikes as my first choice. i could of just read this thread. the other threads say that its probably not a good idea but dont give conrete advice about WHY its not in the first couple pages. ppl need to know the WHY like stated in this thread.
post #56 of 1196 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:31 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: 05 gsxr750

lets just hope the newbs read it. which they wont..so who knows! GL nice post thou..and as far as starting bikes go. Start with whatever you want, most people reserach things they are going to buy, new car, new truck, vacations, why wouldnt a bike be any different? I started on a 01-750, i learned bymyself, no help from anyone, i did the research, learned what i needed to learn, then applied it to the bike...and im still waiting to take my MSF which i THINK ANY RIDER SHOULD TAKE NO MATTER HOW SKILLED THEY ARE.....some people are born with common sense some are not. the ones going out to buy a gsxr1000+ doesnt mean they are a dumb ass, maybe they think they could handle it. and tried. if they fuck up. then im sure they will make a post bout how some ass hole cut them off an now no longer have a nice new shiney bike. but as far as clowing on kids cus they got some huge killer bike, isnt a nice thing to do, maybe tell them to be safe and to use there head is a better response then to make the kid think he cant do it just to get pissed then go out riding and take the aggression out next thing u know hes doing 180 on a traffic street...
post #57 of 1196 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Track Day Winner

<-- noob, read it. decided to start on a GS 500F first. although i decided this yesterday after having to make my own thread asking for first bike advice. but still, this thread makes me more sure that im making the right decision.

STICKY THIS THREAD!
post #58 of 1196 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:04 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: Suzuki GSX-R1000 K4

Top thread... New to site but not to bikes. I personaly think that (most) people should start on a smaller bike to get a concept of what a BIKE can do along with what they can do on it.
I've been riding now for close to 12 years on road bikes and i just last year bought my first Gixxer. Before that i had handfull of different bikes. Started on a "74" KH Kwaka 2 stroke triple, then a "85" Yamaha RD350. Yes i know they are ancient but were great bikes.. I have also had a few old Honda 750's. Now even though i ride every day (i dont own a car) i still messed up my bike within the first 3 months....THE POWER IS UNLIKE ANY BIKE I HAVE OWNED. Thank god for insurance, just a stupid mistake on a twistie (to much gas). So even with 12 years riding Shit happens if you dont know what to expect from your bike. I have now taken a advanced riding course which i have learned alot from. But really it just comes down to the way you respect your * bike * the roads and of course your LIFE.....Be safe, Be smart........
post #59 of 1196 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:41 AM
Squid

Greetings all, first post on this particular forum......so here goes....

I get my k5 on Friday, its blue and white, and still stock standard. First item to be fitted (before I leave the dealer floor) is a set of crash bobins, frame sliders, u know what i mean. I'm so freakin nervous already! Butterflys in my tummy! and this is not my first big 1litre bike

I have owned a variety of bikes, and I started with a Honda VFR 400, moved to 500, then a kwak 550, and then I crashed! hard! Ankle still pains when the cold sets in. After a year, I went and got another 400, learnt how to ride again, and just enjoyed my riding.

A year later 2001/2 I got a Blade, then in 2003 I got my R1. and that was fast. So i decided to wait a while and learn how to handle a big bike. I do most of my riding on the track now, and have managed to get my time down to sub 2mins. Just this past weekend I posted my best ever at Phakisa ( a Moto GP track), a stunning 1.56! So I think im ready for a Gixxer now, but I know that it can be handful, so I will be approaching it with alot of respect. I have read up everyhting about the bike, and it still gives me goosebumps just thinking of it.

Will I ever be ready for a thousand CC bike? I dont think so, but I ride within my limits. I dont allow anyone to push me to go faster - although some have pushed themselves trying to keep up with me. I leave my racing for the track, if i ride on the road, its short daylight only trips - some would say its a waste, but i've seen more road accidents than I care to mention. Just 3 months ago, a stupid sod did a u-turn in front of me, and that was my nice new R1200GS totalled!

I'm 35 years old and love bikes. And I will go fast on the road every once in a while. But anyone who thinks they can handle a bike like this is going to be in for a surprise. the R1 was fast, but the Gixxer makes the R1 feel slow (from test rides anyway). I will have to wait till friday for my bike, and then its off to to track on Saturday. Will post some pics as soon as I can.

Its all Love brothers and sisters!
post #60 of 1196 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Squid

Quote:

Will I ever be ready for a thousand CC bike? I dont think so, but I ride within my limits. I dont allow anyone to push me to go faster - although some have pushed themselves trying to keep up with me.!
That's probably one of the wisest and truthful statements I've ever seen in a motorcycle forum. Congrats on your purchase, I think I'm getting mine Monday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode