New Riders: R Bikes as a first bike, Dont post a new thread! - Page 2 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 1196 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Squid

Re: New Riders: R Bikes as a first bike, Dont post a new thr

to MG6: from what ive heard the gsx-r's are much much quicker than a buell monster.

i didnt mean i wasnt looking for your opinion, i only meant i learned on a bigger less responsive bike. i want you guys (the gixxer experiecned) to help me understand the differences. i feel that learning how to control the clutch/brakes may be 90% of what people screw up on. if im wrong correct me. i dont plan on buying a gixxer first, but i sure as hell do yearn for one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 1196 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 02:30 AM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Quote:
raleigh rapier said:
i feel that learning how to control the clutch/brakes may be 90% of what people screw up on. if im wrong correct me. i dont plan on buying a gixxer first, but i sure as hell do yearn for one.
To quote another member here, Fraggle:

Quote:
Learning to fly means more than being suspended from the ceiling and flapping your arms
Meaning: Learning to ride a bike is more than learning to operate the levers and grips...

Sure throttle, clutch and brake control are important but the more radical a bike is, the more input errors are amplified. And for example being able to operate the brake in a parking lot or putting around doesn't mean that you can operate it properly under stress.

No matter what, the more race-oriented a bike is, the harder it is to learn on because it can put you on your ass way faster than a standard, meaning you'll spend a lot of attention on being careful, leaving less for learning. Sure you can kill yourself on any bike - you just don't have to try as hard on a race bike...

BTW you're right on the Buell being slower - it's driven by a souped-up tractor engine...
post #23 of 1196 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 12:22 PM
MG6
Supersport

Motorcycle: G6 01

nice touch SV

but on the side note, like svs said, learning the basic the clutch, braking and whatnot is only one piece of the pie. There is a reason why MSF course teach you the whole package and they recommend you take the next level up to learn the whole ordeal about control and how to be the rider in charge and not the bike.
post #24 of 1196 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:08 AM
Squid

Firstly, thank you very much for this post Rev, SVS, and MG6. I know that I don't have a lot of time on this board, but I have been riding on the street for a few years and I have to agree that buying a cutting edge sportsbike for your first motorcycle is flirting with disaster. I'm not trying to say that anyone who attempts to ride a newer R bike will die or be hurt; I just feel that it increases your chances of being hurt significantly. The kind of control and moderation that these motorcycles demand in an environment as inherently dangerous as the street already is can not be learned from a book or 10 hours in a classroom setting. You will need to spend time getting the feel for what the bike is trying to tell you, and while you are acquiring these skills, it is probably better that you are riding a bike that is not "waiting to pounce" as is the case with many of today’s more powerful sportsbikes. Again, riding a motorcycle is not just a series of pre-determined steps in reaction to a standard scenario. There are an infinite number of possibilities for any given situation, and while you are learning what the best of those are, it's probably best that you are not on a motorcycle that will rocket you to 60 miles an hour from a stop in 3 seconds. For anyone who is starting out, I suggest the following book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nce&s=books

Sport Riding Techniques is packed with excellent information and drills that will enable anyone to become a more proficient rider. Do you absolutely need to read this book? No, but like all of the positive information proceeding this post, I've included it here in the hopes that by reading it you may be saved the physical, emotional, and financial pain of crashing. *preach off*
post #25 of 1196 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: SlowKat
Re: New Riders: R Bikes as a first bike, Dont post a new thread!

Quote:
spongebob said:
my 1st street bike was a brand new 93 gsx-r750..and im on my 2nd gixxer.....ive experience NO FECKIN problems..1st street bike choice has more to do with what between your ears than anything...
the new 600's would smoke just about anything stock from 1993.....bad example.
post #26 of 1196 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: DeathCannon

Spongebob, if you had an identical twin who started on a smaller bike then graduated up to what you now ride, by now he'd be a better rider than you. No biggie, but true.

So what if you survived on the '93 750? The point here is to give new motorcyclists the best advice and best riding experience, to welcome them to the sport the right way. If someone is so excited to get an R bike he is practically gizzin' in his underwear, the only way to get him back to reality is to take a firm harsh tone. To you it sounds "holier than thou" but in fact, it's not holy enough because most of 'em still don't follow the advice.

If you said, "Well, I suppose that it might be possible but I strongly advise against it", that's not enough and they end up buying a GSXR as their first bike. Then you just wasted your advice because it made no difference.

The true difference here is that statistics show THEY HAVE A MUCH LOWER CHANCE OF SURVIVAL. It also takes them longer to learn. And the fairings cost some serious bankroll every time they drop the bike.

Please don't have a problem with your bro's trying to save lives and give newer motorcyclists a richer more fulfilling lifestyle.
post #27 of 1196 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 01:55 AM
!##NULL##!

death..if a person has motorcycle experience, he/she can go to a 750 with no problems..
if a person has no experience on a bike what so ever, then i would agree, get some experience on a lighter duty bike..
by brother started out on a ninja600, hes 15 years younger than me(stay with me here), i started out on a yamaha 80 when i was in high school and progressed up through bigger dirt bikes until i bought the 93/750..i have 15 years experience on my brother on smaller to bigger bikes..my brother can out ride me anyday of the week..
its all what between the ears..
post #28 of 1196 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 12:53 PM
!##NULL##!

deathdoOd.as long as asshole bike salesmen sell bikes that are over the head of the buyer, shit is gona happen..no matter if 100% of the comments generated here say dont buy a R bike as a 1st time street bike, there will be people like me who have done just that saying..i did it and im still here..

bikes arnt the only thing that get waded up..noobs wad vettes and other such cars...its gona happen. dosnt mean that someone with common sence cant ride a R bike..and survive..

starting out small is a very good idea, i bought my 5 year old grand son a 50cc suzuki dirt bike..against his dads wishs..his dad is a quad guy and dosnt want the boy on a 2 wheeler..but i know better..he will be a better all around rider with something with 2 wheels under his belt..i would stick him on a R bike with out a shit pot of some kind of bike riding..
all i can say, it worked for me and my brother...
post #29 of 1196 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: DeathCannon

OK sponge, sounds like we are more in agreement.

I'm not one of the crusaders that tells dirt riders that there is absolutely no way they can start street riding on a GSXR-6. Sure I would tell them they are better off starting with the SV, but I don't have the heart to grind an axe for those riders.

Basically I support the experienced riders who come down hard on new riders with no motorcycle experience. The newbies who ask, "Isn't it possible to start on a GSXR if I'm careful?"

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a situation here. As sportbikes have become a red hot fad, more squids than ever buy them for a first bike. Unlike how it used to be, these usually are NOT people who know anyone, have dads or older brothers who ride, or have any other idea what they are getting into. More and more of them are dying on their first R bikes, at an alarming rate. Now maybe it doesn't matter to you if a dumb squid dies, and maybe you don't care about sportbikers getting the reputation from all the squids on R-bikes. But even if you didn't care about that, you need to care that sooner or later some shit will hit the fan. A senator's son will die, a celeb will die, whatever... then they will look at all the squid deaths and say, "Hey, why don't we start imposing limits on sportbikes?" It happened before and it almost passed.

Either we regulate our sport with good leadership and good advice, or someone will pass a law to do it for us. Plus it's the right thing to do, to stop a newbie from getting an R-bike, when he has no idea how to ride an unforgiving 2-wheeled vehicle that eats Dodge Vipers for breakfast.
post #30 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Supersport

Motorcycle: ex650

bump for the new site members.
post #31 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:14 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: Jasmine

Hello, everyone.. I"ve been reading the sticky's (WOW someone that reads some before posting!! what a Novelty). I agree with a lot of what is said here, and I've had some concerns myself..... I've been around bikes my whole life.. rides on my uncles bike, dirt bikes as a kid, a crusier, and then a GS550. Then I moved out of state and haven't ridden a bke in 10 years. I've been tghinking about getting another bike and my friend is selling his 97 GSX600R at a very attractive price for me. I went and test drove it around the block a few times and ended up locking up the back wheel due to the "new" technology and it is a brand new tire. It felt great to get back on a bike and just do the little trip. I was wondering what you guys thoughts were on the "older" GSXR as a reintroduction to bikes. BTW the bike never fell.. all those years of dirt and good balence kept it up :-D.

Thanks in advance,
--Jasmine
post #32 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Jurassic Skool

Motorcycle: 86 GSX-R1100

From my perspective, that 97's still fairly new technology. Since you already have bike experience, albeit 10 year old experience, only you would know if you're ready for that. Locking up the rear can be a simple thing of not knowing the bike itself. Just how well did you ride back in your days? You do know brakes are applied in an approx. 70/30 ratio front/back? I rarely use the back brake at all, myself. Actually, you shouldn't even be coming close to locking up a rear brake.

If it's a really good deal, get it. Take a refresher course, get some good gear and just take it easy applying what you learned in the refresher.
post #33 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:32 AM
Jurassic Skool

Oh yeah, welcome to the site, btw.
post #34 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:38 AM
Amateur

Man when i first came to this site, i was like wTFFFF i want a gixxer. And all these mofos are telling me not to!!! i was so heated, but then i just Shutted up and started reading. So i ended up geting a gs500, and wow iam the happiest man alive!!! with the gs500 i can make so many mistakes and not even worry casue the bike is so nice!!! iam really learning how to ride the bike, and the power is more then enough for a newbie. its been a few days and ofcoruse iam geting used to it, but i still love it!!! its so fun just riding, and i think if i got an R bike i would have died for sure....not dout about it.!!! and with the gs500 you can gun it and the bike picks up, but you really feel your speed so you cant really suprise yourself like you would be able to on an R bike!! BUT I JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS TO ALL THE GUYS WHO ARE PRO AND TOLD ME TO AVOID GETING AN R BIKE..... THANK YOU GDC MEMBERS...adn all you people geting R bike IAM SMOKE YOU IN THE TWISTIES!!!! HAHA ...retards
post #35 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:42 AM
Jurassic Skool

All true. I used to smoke this clown on his 1000 CBR in the curves. He'd dust me in the straights, but I always caught up to him in the first turn. I think he was afraid of it.

I rode a GS550 at the time.
post #36 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:54 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: Jasmine

Thanks.. I'm really think i'm going to do it and take it easy and only fair weather riding for a bit to get used to it. :-) hope to talk more with you all in the upcoming months, and maybe even go riding if anyone is in my area... BTW, I'm in the DC metro area (Live in MD, work in VA)

--Jasmine
post #37 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: Dustin

just out of courosity how may people on this site choose a gixxer as their first?
post #38 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Amateur

I posted this in another thread here...figured it was somewhat relevant so I'd put it here as well:

My first bike was a 97 gsx-r 750. The bike had already been dumped by the previous owner...so when I eventually low-sided in some twisties after going on some dirt in the road 4 months later I wasn't heart-broken.

I went through the MSF beginner course, and then also did something a lttie more uncommon. When I got the bike home my friend that has been riding for a long time helped me install a rev limiter on the bike. We set it to shut down at around 7k rpm at first..and then we'd bump it up a couple or so thousand rpm every other week. This helped me learn how the bike handled/etc without letting me get on the power too much. Preventing myself from getting on the power while I was learning more about riding for the first month or two helped my confidence since, I knew it would be harder to make a big or plain old idiot mistake.

After about seven months of riding around on that I went out and got an sv650s. In actuality I ended up riding the 650s faster than I ever did that 750. I was a lot more confident on the sv than I was on the 750, as it matched my riding abilities better. The extra confidence helped me to start learning more about riding again, something that I felt was more important than having a more powerful machine. Chances are if I had started on the sv I would have learned more I think. In my experience how confident you are on a bike matters more-so than when you are in a car.

In the end it is of course your choice. I just thought I would share my "first bike" story in an effort to help you seeing as I started out on a 750.
post #39 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 05:46 PM
MG6
Supersport

Motorcycle: G6 01

it really doesn't matter how everyone started... at one point, everyone will be at a pace where they will need to learn how to control the bike. Some will learn faster and others will take a long time to learn the skills.

Reason why we tell you to start of small is to be able to control those skills and not kill yourself. I have an GT80, CT90 and got my lady a RS50 to start out with. These are small bikes and is one of the best to learn the skills of learning about how bike response and how you could control them.

If one is to get a R bike... it will or might taken them years to figure out how to ride the bike. That is if they take classes after classes and of course have professionals to teach you on what is wrong with your riding line during riding and how to correct them. Also, track school is one of the best way to learn these skills as well.

Again, different people will tell you they did fine with a R bike for their first timer and others will say... to start of small.

And the whole point is to start small and move up.

I started off riding dirt bikes when i was a kid... slowly worked my way up and took my friend 1000 TLS for almost 4 months. Then went out to move down myself to get a 600.
post #40 of 1196 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:46 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: Gixxer4Life

Quote:
just out of courosity how may people on this site choose a gixxer as their first?
My 1st bike is a gixer 600k5, i have had it since march. i belive that what is between you ears is the most important. if you have had a lot of car accidents or a lot of speeding ticket maybe an R type bike is not right for u. Riding an R type bike requires your undivided attention, you can't be worring about work, the girlfriend, or anything else, it's just you and the bike that's it. these bike are not as forgiving as a cruiser type bikes, 1 wrong move (IE brake or accelarate too hard, leaning too much, too little) and you will be on the ground. This bike is my santuary, it's just me and my bike, i have no concept of time, i don't worry about anything at all. My concentration is so dialed in that thing start moving slow, even at 100+ speeds.

Just my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode