Form Equals Function: Sportbikes are Not Beginner Bikes - Page 9 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 166 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: EX250J '08(baby ninja), GSX-R600 '09, CRF250F '05
Re: Form Equals Function: Sportbikes are Not Beginner Bikes

Brilliant write up. Pretty much said all that has been going through my head.
Been on a ninja 250 for 4 years and 25000km so finally stepping it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 166 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Track Day Winner

Very good write up! I'm 35 been riding for 15 years dirt and cruiser I just bought a gsxr 600 my first sport bike and the thing scares the shit outa me at least ones every ride the power and handling can make you think your so much better then you realy are!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
post #163 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Butt Stallion

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R600

New riders would do well to take the OP to heart, I recently got an 07 GSX-r600 after a few years riding a 750cc sports-touring bike, and I am still getting used to handling this new beast. I shudder to think of how terrible a driver I would be had I not had a few years previous road experience. It really is not the kind of thing you can learn on.
post #164 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 07 Suzuki GSXR 600

Thanks Ride for the thread. I rode my LS650 for a while before even thinking about a gixxer 600. In fact, I purchased the sport bike for my son, but after riding it, I knew he wasn't going to get it until he rode the LS 650 for a while. Even then, I think I am going to keep it, but I am glad I didn't start with it. It still takes my breath away. I just have to hold back and remember I am not on the track. Yeeha
post #165 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 750 white/blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by travistheussj View Post
I'm not missing the point of this thread. It all depends on the person if your prone to accidents, have bad balance or are retarded you should start out on say a 250 to see if bikes are even for you. Me personally I am not "surviving" I ride my bike hard through the turns, turned 11.691 @ 118mph on my 3rd pass at the track. I bring the front wheel and back wheel up whenever I want to so I am riding my bike pretty well for 4 months of experience. btw I have not dropped it either. so my point is it all depends on the person.

That's with barely 2 months of riding under my belt.
I started on a 1997 zx9r(first streetbike besides my yami enduro 125 2smoker), so following this guys logic and reasoning I should be able to ride circles around Nicky Hayden by now?(circle wheelies I should say since this kid likes to squid eerr I mean stunt with no gear). I mean if it took 4 months for him to turn pro on a 600, then I should be on the motoGP grid pretty soon since I started on a 900cc lol. Well that dude made that post in 07 so hopefully he has learned by now if he is still alive and not a para/quadrapalegic or so brain damaged he cant even wipe his own ass... While I started off on a 9r and didn't get seriously hurt/killed, I DEFINITELY wouldn't do it again, a bike with damn near 140hp and more weight than some Harley bikes is well, lets just say less than ideal for a noob. And I DID drop it, only once tho when coming to a stoplight, I had the bars slightly turned and I grabbed the front brake causing the front to dive forward and to the right, and yeah it was quite embarrassing doing that infront of a bunch of people. If I was giving advice to someone who is set on getting a 600+cc supersport as a first bike, I would try to steer them towards a supermoto if they HAVE TO have a fun bike.. wheelies like none other, I had a KTM 250xc 2 stroke that would rip the front tire off the ground 1st thru 4th... re-gear that bitch and you will have quite a fun little dirt/streetbike
post #166 of 166 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Squid

My first bike was a Honda CBRF4i. Loved it.
2nd bike was a Yamaha YZF6R. Loved it.
My current bike is a Suzuki GSXR1000. I love it everytime I get on it. Everytime.

I feel the only thing that has kept me shiny side up and walking is respect for the machine, alertness while riding and that wonderful MSF course I took before I got started on the Honda. Starting on a 600 can be done. Recommended by the general public, no. But it can be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode